BBK header 2.5" collector Donut?

1TDUBB1

Apr 17, 2018
ATX
My 85 GT came with an H pipe and dual Flowmeters, wich sounded great, but I had to get rid of the stock exhaust manifold. So I got the BBK shorty's for an "easy" bolt on Application. So the headers bolted on to the block fine, but I can't get the collectors to seal.

When I pulled off the originals, there wasn't any type of donut or gasket between the pie and the collector, so I bolted these straight.....leaked like a MF.

I can't get the pix in order, but...

#1 shows the header collector
#3 shows what the pipe flange looks like and the ring that I installed
#2 looks like a similar ring as pic #3, but has a flat spot...should I try this one?

I did have to do some pulling and moving around the pipe to get them to go on straight, but I can still feel there's a small gap on one side or the other of each collector to pipe connection. I'm wondering if it;s just cause they didn't go on perfectly straight?

Any suggestions would be gresat

BBK headers.jpg
different ring type gasket.jpg
exhaust ring.jpg
pipe flange.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Make sure your tightening up that connector evenly on the front and back, or forward and rear, However you want to look at it. The rounded part is what seals it up.

Reactions: 1 user
Years back, I couldn't get a set of BBK headers to seal at all. Tried and tried but was convinced something was wrong . This was a stock H-pipe

Bought a second set, and sure as hell the one collector I couldn't seal was welded at a different angle. Installed second set and worked fine the fire time.

Took it off, (to use as evidence the first set was welded wrong) and had a hell of a time getting my money back on an installed and run set of headers...but I did.

Make sure your tightening up that connector evenly on the front and back, or forward and rear, However you want to look at it. The rounded part is what seals it up.
I spent a lot of time going back and forth this time making sure everything was even, and it looks like the flange bent. It seals on both sides, where the bolts are but does not seal between either of the bolts.

I guess the only way to replace those is to cut the pipes?