BBK Intake Noise after upgrade

neakypete

Apr 13, 2010
Michigan
Hi guys, this is my first post to the forums so I apologize in advance if this it the wrong place for this question.

I just recently put an upper and lower BBK intake on my 89 GT 5.0. While I had it torn down I also put in new plugs, MSD ignition and distributor and MSD plug wires. I have the BBK 70mm throttle body and cold air intake in the boxes ready to go but ran into this issue.

After completing the intake install, I started the car and even though the timing is clearly off by a degree or so, I have a nasty ticking sound. The only thing I can compare it to is loud lifter tick. It follows the RPM curve so that if you rev the motor, the ticking accelerates as well. I'm pretty baffled as to what could be causing this ticking since I only did the lower\upper intake. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what may be causing this noise? The car has sat in my garage while I did this for about 5-6 weeks.

• Sponsors (?)

Is it the SSI?

If so you need to check for a fuel leak. If you don't have a fuel leak, take a can of carb cleaner and spray around the intake. If the tick disappears for a second or two, you sprayed the leak.

I went through HELL with mine.

Does it have a crossover tube for the fuel?

Yes it is an SSI. I did some pretty extensive checking for a fuel leak prior to putting the upper on because the new fuel rail assembly seems prone to cut the o-rings as you're sliding the injectors into place and I had a few leaks. I checked and checked and re-checked for fuel.

Oil pressure is what I was thinking about too. How in the world do I check the oil pressure?

Yes it is an SSI. I did some pretty extensive checking for a fuel leak prior to putting the upper on because the new fuel rail assembly seems prone to cut the o-rings as you're sliding the injectors into place and I had a few leaks. I checked and checked and re-checked for fuel.

Oil pressure is what I was thinking about too. How in the world do I check the oil pressure?

By a guage at autozone. The oil sending unit is beside the oil filter, sorta. Time that car tho :)

do yourself a favor and take that junk intake off and throw it in the scrap bin where it belongs.

:Word:

Came aweful close to doing that myself. Man I had to take that tube out, block the holes in the rails, and get a mechanic's shop to run braided hose out the back of the fuel rails.

Don't get me started on the ____________ injectors leaking. Jesus, Mary and Joseph. :nonono:

What I did to get the o-rings\injectors installed easily was to put some Vasoline on each one. After I did that I put the entire thing together without a single leak. I just think that the holes in the fuel rails are a bit sharp and can easily rip a piece of the o-ring while it's being inserted.

Thanks for the info on the oil pressure. I'm going to head that direction.

I'm not sure why everyone is so anti-BBK. I did a lot of reading on them and saw almost nothing but rave reviews. What's the big problem with them that you hate so much BYRDPE?

bbk only makes certain things that are quality...i have no complaints on my xpipe or my cold air kit...but i stayed away from the throttle body and main engine parts....u should have 50 psi cold start for oil then when its warmed up around 25 psi

I'm not sure why everyone is so anti-BBK. I did a lot of reading on them and saw almost nothing but rave reviews. What's the big problem with them that you hate so much BYRDPE?

If you did a lot of reading, you must have missed a LOT. The BBK doesn't make a lot of power, isn't of the greatest quality and has a tendency to burn cars to the ground. Personally, I've never read a single positive thing about one. There is an extensive thread on corral.net where the president of BBK came on and tried to defend the product. He didn't succeed in changing any minds.

Aside from the BBK bashing, which I hold KING STATUS over...

Time the car. Time the car. Time the car. Time the car. Time the car.

You can't jump steps. Walking is a controled fall and so is a motor. You need to have as many things in your favor as you can so as to rule them out. Get your timing light and that taken care of.

Dude I spent a LONG time trying to get my head/cam/intake install working and despite a few setbacks from BBK, TIMING was my major issue all along. If you hear ticking it's timing. If it isn't, a wise man (HISSIN) told me once, "Always look at the last thing you did" ;)

Thats what I was thinking..header gasket. I have the same intake (not by choice, bought the car with it on). The only noise I have, which I have researched and is normal, is the whistle that sounds like a vacuum leak. I have found it is the sound of air moving thru the upper intake and if you touch the top of the plenum cover it goes away. Did you have the headers off? Did you rev it and it spit a piece of header gasket out? Ideas anyhow..