BBK longtube owners...Do you hear ticks through the headers???

juiced_94gt

Mar 30, 2005
Southern California
Well im getting dynotuned tomorrow and want to make sure that everything is up to spec, the only thing i cant figure out is why i hear ticks under the car, i took it to the muffler shop and there are NO exhaust leaks, but it sounds like it ticks through the longtubes, is this normal with LT's???:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Both of my cars with longtubes do it as do every other longtube setup I've heard. Seems more noticeable at lower rpms and loads to me.

It is the longtube making gobs of power! :nice:

Wes

P.S. As said above, it never hurts to check your manifold bolts, collectors and EGR bung (if applicable) for tightness but my money is on what I said above.

bbk longtube header ticks.

The answer to this question is you have a very minute clearance between the header and the body of the car. When your motor mounts wear and your engine moves a bit under throttle due to weak motor mounts, the headers tap the body of the car. If at idle you hear ticking then look at your motor to see how much it is vibrating or bouncing and you will notice that about half way in the middle of the passenger header it will probably be tapping the body of the car. And something else to think about is that your car may not be as perfect as it was when it first rolled off the assembly line; meaning, that if the chassis is twisted or skewed cause you have been driving around without the strut tower brace on in a high horsepower car doing launches then there's a good chance the chassis may not be square and the headers are tapping on the body causing the ticking sound. I noticed mine bbk's were not ticking as much after I replaced my badly worn out motor mounts. my engine looked like it was practically bouncing around under the hood with the lumpy cam, weak idle, low rpm, and weak rubber motor mounts. I replaced them with polyurethane ones and it was one of the best things I did. My shifter stopped jumping around the center console as well.

Very Respectfully,
ET2 Comeau