BBK SSI Intake test in 5.0 Mustangs

Sir Hacksalot

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2001
Ankeny, IA
I just got my 5.0 Mustangs Mag in the mail (can I use a few more M words there? :lol:), and eagerly devoured the story testing out the new BBK SSI intake.

While it gave some impressive results, it left me with a few questions.

The engine it was tested on was a stock 'type' 306 shortblock with a stock 93 Cobra Cam (slightly different than the original 5.0 HO camshaft)...Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, and a typical exhaust set up on the car.

With a slightly ported stock intake, it made roughly 229 RWHP and 298 RWTQ or something along those numbers. With the BBK SSI Intake, and a BBK 75 mm Throttle Body, it made 29 RWHP more than the stocker...and from 3800 RPMS and up, it just walked away from the stock intake...in fact, at 5100 RPMS, I seem to remember it making like 40+ HP more.

The question I have is how does such an intake compare to other intakes in its class? How does the Performer, Street Heat, and Cobra Intakes compare? Also, what sort of setup is the SSI optimized for? I know when you step up in power, will the SSI support that sort of thing (IE, going from a bolt on 302 to a built up 306, 331 or 347 stroker).

The other thing that just bothered me was the testing was done by Brothers Performance, the distributor that is owned and run by BBK...while I don't have anything against Brothers or BBI (I use their products BTW), I just would have liked to have seen a more objective test...I understand what sells magazines, but it's a little like the proverbial fox guarding the henhouse.

As for the appearance of the SSI...it's the sexiest 5.0 intake since the Rousch and BXR monstrosities, and the original GT40 intake...and at less than $600 with fuel rails, seems to be one hell of a value.

Just my observations,
Sir Hacksalot

• Sponsors (?)

Folks have been hammering away at the half baked test that was run for that intake for over a month now. Will have to wait to see if anyone reputable picks it up and does the tests.

Daggar said:
Folks have been hammering away at the half baked test that was run for that intake for over a month now. Will have to wait to see if anyone reputable picks it up and does the tests.

I agree the parameters of that test left a lot to be desired.....

I guess I'll chime in now. The SSI intake is half decent, but a few things need to be fixed.

A) Runner pattern. It starves out #5 and #8, and #6 and 7 aren't doing well either. It could use another throttle body on the opposite side.

B) Overall runner design and cleanliness. If the ports are misalligned, there's casting flaws, etc, it's not finished. Make it again.

RS200 said:
I guess I'll chime in now. The SSI intake is half decent, but a few things need to be fixed.

A) Runner pattern. It starves out #5 and #8, and #6 and 7 aren't doing well either. It could use another throttle body on the opposite side.

B) Overall runner design and cleanliness. If the ports are misalligned, there's casting flaws, etc, it's not finished. Make it again.

Dual throttle bodies... that would be sweet. Even better... lets scrap the whole intake and design a tunnel ram with 3 or 4 throttle bodies behind a ram air hood with a common throttle linkage. Would look bad as hell!