bbk ssi or trickflow street efi

I am looking for a intake manifold and have come down to two. A bbk ssi intake and the trickflow street efi. My set up is below and was wondering what you guys have experienced with either of these. Which holds more low end torque and still delivers horespower gains at higher rpms? I have looked for dyno sheets but only come up with cars much more modded then mine. :shrug:
I know I can fit both under the hood and I know I need a new strut tower brace for both. (I think the tfs needs a new one):shrug:
Do you guys know if a universal elbow will work on the bbk ssi? or could I just drop the egr valve and run a cold air kit meant for a fox and have the tb right on the manifold?
I like that the bbk comes with fuel rails
Also I hear the gt40 intake works well for the full rpm range. I am not really looking at peak performance, but overall rpm power range.
Some people have been telling me that the bbk is not good but I would like to hear from people whohave used it or know what it can do.
I am not REALLY worried about looks but the bbk looks bad ass:nice: while the tfs looks alright (they are growing on me) I used to think that they look like a diaper sitting on your lower intake.:p
I am willing to sacrifice some horses from the tfs for the look of the bbk:rolleyes:, but I dont want it to hurt or lower any of the power I make now.:D
Money is a factor.
Which will accomidate a turbo better? (for the future):nice:
Thankyou:hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

69clark could help you with your ssi questions. As for the TFS thats what I run. I too thought they were ugly as all get out. I wanted a eddy but found my tfs brand new for a great price so I bought it. After seeing it in person and on my car I love it. They look much better then you might think

I just saw an article in oneof the Mustang mags that ran an SSI against a ported GT40 and it came out a tiny bit better, a cross the rpm range. I don't know the price diff between the two. Prolly more than the power difference. If money is a factor, buy an Explorer and port it. That would be a ton cheaper. If it won't suit your turbo combo later, you'll prolly be able to get your $$$ back out of it.

Any elbow will work! The only thing that I dont like about the SSI is that the fuel rails caps on the end is held in with one screw but I dont know if they are all like that or what.

BUT...

Its great for holding a laptop!

:lol: HOLDS A LAPTOP?!! Im sold!
not really
I have still been looking for dyno charts too compare but I cant find anything usefull.
How would I go about increasing my redline?
Would I just go with a idle to 5500rpm trickflow or 1500rpm to 6500rpm?
What is the operating rpms for the bbk ssi?
Also is the edlbrock performer rpm II good? or worth the money?
I am reading that the trickflow will only fit a 94 95 with slight modification, what is that modification?
Thankyou

i dont know much about the intake but i think the modification is a throttle body elbow. but unless you want to do a fox conversion i believe you need one with any aftermarket intake.

i think i did read something about needing to plug vacuum lines on the bottom of the upper to but i'm not sure. maybe someone else will add to this

since the SSI has the egr on the intake itself. you have to make a blockoff plate, not Hard to do. I was porting myne got near the end then I forgot I also had to get a hood, but I don,t have the money right now. so yeah....

try contacting bryan rogers on corral.net he works for bbk, he also has a ssi on his car. maybe he can tell you more.

I can answer some of that. On my 94 gt I have fox valve covers, not sure if that aids in any of this or not. I had to use a intake spacer for the egr valve to clear the valve covers. I have a 1" spacer I have seen on here that people get away with a 3/4". I also needed a egr tube adapter which adds an inch to the egr tube actually I have 2 adapters rigged up on mine. Also like mentioned before you will need a intake adapter unless you go with a fox tb setup and you will also need to cap and plug some of the extra vac. ports. If you have any questions about the TFS hit me up I'll help put as much as I can

I had the bbk intake for awhile. Two problems I had were, 1 it wasn't big enough for my setup with the supercharger, where as it maybe fine for you setup. Second is it sucked alot of oil into the intake, even with an oil separator. However, I think this way a design flaw that I have read about their pcv setup design. I also think being supercharged made the problem worse for me.

So it may be a great intake for your setup, just not for mine. Which I knew it probably wouldn't be when I got it, but no one had the balls to try it out so I went ahead and tried it.

As far as looks, yeah they come to your door looking pretty good, but with a little time and effort, you can make them look even better. The looks and a different design was one of the main reasons I tried the intake. This is a pic of when I had mine, (which I sold for $450 in the spring) but I sanded down the fuel rails to look brushed instead of blue, custom top plate, painted black upper and painted cast lower. Then I gave all the raised lettering a brushed look. It looks good as it comes but with out a lot of time or money it can look way better.

NewCameraPicsVids020.jpg

143_4304.jpg

Attachments

• NewCameraPicsVids020.jpg
    NewCameraPicsVids020.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 300
  • 143_4304.jpg
    143_4304.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 889
WOW your engine bay is clean. I really like the paint job on the intake. In fact the whole reason i am looking into a new intake is because I new I would need one soon but my egr doesnt clear the valve cover I got. I was told they would work for a 94-95 and were made specifically to clear the egr and roller rockers. I was going to get a spacer but figured it was time to move to something that would allow it to breath more.

I am looking for a intake manifold and have come down to two. A bbk ssi intake and the trickflow street efi.

Also I hear the gt40 intake works well for the full rpm range. I am not really looking at peak performance, but overall rpm power range.

I am willing to sacrifice some horses from the tfs for the look of the bbk:rolleyes:, but I dont want it to hurt or lower any of the power I make now.:D
Money is a factor.

The GT40 and Explorer intakes are the best of the non-stock intakes up to 4000rpm, but a ported stock intake beats both up to 4000rpm though. The Edelbrock Performer is the best in the 3500-5000rpm range and beats the TFS Street Heat just about everywhere. The Holley Systemax II is the best intake from 5000rpm upwards that doesn't give up too much low rev torque (it maintains nearly as much low rpm torque as the Eddy Performer, and beats both the TFS Track Heat and Eddy Performer RPM across the whole rpm range.
If you're planning to go turbo in the future, I suggest you go for an intake that's biased more towards low rpm torque where the turbo is weakest i.e. GT40/Explorer so that the engine doesn't feel flat as a pancake before the turbo spools up.