BBK SSI

LaserSVT

Got FB banned again for saying nards
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
I always wondered why that plenum was not more popular. The only person I know on here with one is Strype and we are all waiting for his coupe to be put back together to see how it does.
I havent heard anything good or bad about them. Anyone on here ever use one or know someone who has? Did they just not work well or were the just too expensive? Whats the deal, IMO I think it was one of the best looking intakes for a 5.0 :shrug:

This is what I am talking about.
87092d1178996377-fyi-bbk-ssi-intake-cid__0512071359a.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

For me...the fact that its ugly as sin is more than enough reason for me not to buy it....I don't care how well if may flow. I've also heard of quality issues with the intake, but that's based on internet chat...so take it with a grain of salt.

In any case, I HATE the way BBK whores their name out all over everything the sell with big, giant letters! It makes it look so cheap....like you bought it at Autozone. :nonono:

i like the shape if it was billet and they lowered the price a little i think they would sell more, costly and from what ive read average flow at best. I do love the BBK logo tho:D

The MSRP was $569 which I thought was high too untill I saw it includes fuel rails and a fuel pressure regulator :nice:
I realize alot of people dont like the way they look so mabey that was the reason cause I have read three test reports on them now and every time it makes 25+ hp over stock and one test it made 10 hp over a Trick flow :shrug:
It also looks like you dont have to use the cover at all or you could easily make a new one that says whatever you want it to :nice:

looks like crap, and its extremley expensive.
Looks aside I am looking for a reason why its not used. If it does make better power then why arnt more people using them? And cost is not a good argument. How much does a Trick Flow or Holly plenum cost+fuel rails+FPR?

Well the looks, and the posts about leaking fuel are enough to steer ME away. Lets just say for the price I'd rather go trickflow, especially considering the track heats go for 350 on corral all the time. Fuel rails? Not needed, and I'd rather go with a kirban fpr for 70 bucks. I dont know how well it flows, but I think if they took off the BBK logo on the top it would only be worth about 300. I am sure the trickflow flows a lot better.

Now there ssi-r short runner intake is something I would look into, and it is very beautiful, but not ideal for a every day high, low end torque car. Also very pricey.

Yeah, strtrcr was talking about the fuel thing whic I believe was an o ring problem with the fuel rails. And from the reports I have read I am wondering if the SSI makes any decient low RPM power. It sounds like its great for high RPM but mabey lacking in lower RPMs :shrug:

IDK, mabey one day when I get another Fox I will try one out and see for myself :shrug:
Wish Strype would hurry up and finish his so I can see how it performs. Of course hes doing heads too so who knows how much HP is coming from where.

i had BBK fuel rails on my car for 5 minutes, they leaked for no reason, and the quality was not there.

If you look at the design of the way the fuel rails are connected on that intake it makes me wonder what BBK was thinking in the first place, the only thing that is keeping the fuel in the rails is a small o-ring... not safe in my book

I love the symmetrical aspect of its looks, but I'm not too crazy about the "BBK" all over it. The quality issues alone will keep me away from it, and cost wise you can find a better intake that makes the same or more power.

Whats dumb to me about it is that it has a symmetrical plenum with a single offset TB. I'm sure it would make more power if it was a twin TB design or even a single front TB; but the obvious price/engine bay constrictions won't allow that.

I've heard nothing but bad things about that intake for as long as it's been around. Granted, internet heresay and guys jumping on the product-bashing bandwagon are responsibe for some parts getting bad names undeservedly. In this case, however, I've heard nothing but horror stories about fuel rails leaking and gasket mating surfaces having to be milled flat in order to seat properly. I've never owned one, and I think it's fugly, personally.

The BBK SSI intake won't clear the stock hood on '94-'95 models so plan on fitting a cowl hood if you want to use this intake. Personally, I just recently won an Edelbrock Performer 3821 intake on ebay and that'll do fine for my idle-5500rpm set-up. I'm waiting for some other bits to arrive from Summit Racing before I install it.

The MSRP was $569 which I thought was high too untill I saw it includes fuel rails and a fuel pressure regulator :nice:

Yeah, but the reason it comes with those things is because it has to. The stock rails and regulator won't work with this intake. I think if they’re going to force a person to use their hardware in order to make their intake fit, and in turn you’re forced to discard part of your perfectly good fuel system in the process, then they should be made to assume the cost of said supporting hardware?

And they can used the increased volume and flow rate of their rails as a selling feature all they'd like, but if the intake won't move that kind of air nesessary to warrant their use to start with, what good is it to the consumer having a set of rails that'll move such copious amounts of fuel in the first place?

I’ve found BBK to be very hit and miss with their products. Their headers/mid pipes and throttle bodies seem to be fine, but I’ve very often heard mixed results about their other stuff? It reminds me of Mac Products in that sense.

I have one of these in my shop waiting for install on my blown coupe. I purchased because I got it at a great price (less then $500 with rails, FPR, and T/B).

I installed it a few months back and had the fuel leak issue you are all speaking of. So I reinstalled my ported GT-40. I then called BBK and they explained that my fuel leak was caused by a casting flaw where the injectors sit in the lower intake. (nothing to do with the o-rings it was the holes themselves) Without much arguement I sent them the intake back and they in return, sent me back a "updated" casting. I have yet to reinstall the intake. I do however plan on doing it at the end of this month.

With the GT-40 intake my coupe has ran a best of 12.52 @ 113. So we'll see if the BBK makes a difference or not.

Oh and as far as the milling issue, the previous intake I had installed appeared to not have any issues sealing, was completely level with my heads.

I have one of these in my shop waiting for install on my blown coupe. I purchased because I got it at a great price (less then $500 with rails, FPR, and T/B).

I installed it a few months back and had the fuel leak issue you are all speaking of. So I reinstalled my ported GT-40. I then called BBK and they explained that my fuel leak was caused by a casting flaw where the injectors sit in the lower intake. (nothing to do with the o-rings it was the holes themselves) Without much arguement I sent them the intake back and they in return, sent me back a "updated" casting. I have yet to reinstall the intake. I do however plan on doing it at the end of this month.

With the GT-40 intake my coupe has ran a best of 12.52 @ 113. So we'll see if the BBK makes a difference or not.

Oh and as far as the milling issue, the previous intake I had installed appeared to not have any issues sealing, was completely level with my heads.
I may end up forgetting but if you remember could you please PM me when you swap it and run. I would love to hear some personel experiences with it and see if it hurts or helps your ETs :nice: