Progress Thread Beating A Dead Horse.... My $500 66 Mustang Coupe Build.

• Sponsors (?)

I may have my hands on a 66 just like this. In doing research i was doing to shy away from the Explorer 8.8 because the shortening of the axle tube intimidates me. Howeever if i could just massage the axle tunnel in the back, id much rather do that. I'm under the impression the front of the pumpkin hits there?

definitely following this project!

Thanks guys.

Thank you, but I already ended up picking up a rear seat. Probably over spent sine I found it on Ebay :(

1990 Coupe, I am almost to the point where I can mount the drivetrain, then I will know for sure.
I will peak under there, but I don't recall the pumpkin being anywhere close to the floor.

So. Got the floor finished up, seat pans welded back in.. Just waiting on some Raptor Liner to show up so that I can coat it all.
While waiting on that, I decided to tackle the last bit of rust on the car.. The Cowl...

As bad as the rest of the car was, I knew this would be no different, and was not disappointed, lol.

Drivers Side

Cowl1_zpsw2r0u2qu.jpg

Cowl2_zpspwdohyet.jpg

Passenger side

PassCowl1_zps29j1eya1.jpg

PassCowl2_zpss9ddtzrj.jpg

Not a great pic, but passenger side rough cut, and drivers side is patched, doing away with the top hats all together, that's what windows are for...
Also after this pic was taken I cut the front 1.5" or so all the way across the front of the cowl as it was rusted too.

Cowl_zpsqbuj4aos.jpg

Might not be perfect 100 point concours restoration, but it will at least be a solid car when I am done, lol

Reactions: 1 users
Long time no update.. Got the cowl sealed up and back together, got the floors done then Raptor Lined it.

FloorsLined_zpsnfnoo5rw.jpg

Now I am finally almost finished with the engine bay, need one more silicone 90 for the upper radiator hose, run my fuel line, throw on an alternator and belt, and she might be about ready to fire for the first time since 1993!

Bay1_zpsjqfnsdsl.jpg

Bay2_zpsb6enigzo.jpg

Bay3_zpsyafucgqu.jpg

Bay4_zpshx8wwhch.jpg

I also enlarged the radiator opening, and put in a bigger radiator. Probably not needed, but can't hurt.

Stock size in enlarged hole.

Stock%20Size_zpsr9nabigk.jpg

New one

Larger%20Size_zpskgkxgcoc.jpg

Ok, long time no update.

I have been slowly picking away at this car, keep getting sidetracked by other projects, but now I am close.

Car was off the road for 25 years, and she now drives again!

This past weekend I got some glass installed, and was able to DRIVE the car out of the garage for the first time to do so!!

Brakes need a little attention.. Going to swap out the single 7" diaphragm booster for a dual 8" booster to get a little more reduction in pedal effort. Also found out I ran the lines backwards at the master cylinder... Apparently the rear port goes to front brakes, front port goes to rear..
Almost time to put it on the road. Just need to finish up wiring, put on door panels, and get some insurance!

22406108.jpg
22365405.jpg
22449903.jpg
22365548.jpg
22406139.jpg
22366822.jpg