Before Ordering Cometic Head Gaskets

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
I'm about to order Cometics for my stock 1992 302 block. This may be a stupid question but I want to make sure. They have them for SVO and non-SVO blocks. Which do I have? I'm pretty sure it non-SVO. Just wanna make sure because these gaskets are not cheap.

BTW, I'm going with .066 thickness. This will fill back in for the head milling and block decking. Heads have .012 milled and the block is decked .002. I know I will need to check lifter preload and may need to make adjustments via pushrod length or whatever. My previous assembly (with .012 milled heads) was the Felpro 9333PT1 at .047 thickness. I shimmed my pedestals .030 in that assembly to get preload in good range. With the thicker gaskets I'm hoping to be in proper preload range with no shims. By my calculations based on my previous assembly, I should be really close with the .066 thick Cometics.

My other consideration in using the thicker gaskets is to lower the compression a tad to help fend of excessive pressure conditions that can result in blown gaskets. For instance, if milling took me to 9.5:1, the thicker gaskets will get me back down closer to 9:1.

• Sponsors (?)