beginner needing crash course in mustang tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.

nohboy33

Jul 23, 2006
k everyone im new to this mustang business...love the car though...couple questions..changing gears wat are the pros and cons and wat size is the best? another question i have is about PI and NPI along with port and non port...wat is the difference and which is better? thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

look SOO ****in sorry everyone...i feel like a complete idiot...but the screen was not loading so i would stop and refresh and try to send again...then all of a sudden it pops up with like 15 of the same post...my bad...can i erase them?

WOW what a way to welcome a new member :nonono: whats the big deal lets just point the guy to what he should look for.. that makes a search a lot easier

do a search in this forum for 3.73's vs. 4.10's or anything 4.10 related.. you will come up with many threads and you can use that to figure out what gears you want..

and about the PI stuff, do a search on PI swaps.. the PI stuff is better especially the cams and intake.. So you can either swap just the cams and intake and be a few HP short of a true PI car or you can go all out and do the heads too and be a few horsepower up on a true PI motor ( because of the added compression of the PI heads on the NPI bottom end) or the third option is swap in a junkyard PI motor

Welcome to stangnet.

svttech76 said:
WOW what a way to welcome a new member :nonono: whats the big deal lets just point the guy to what he should look for.. that makes a search a lot easier

do a search in this forum for 3.73's vs. 4.10's or anything 4.10 related.. you will come up with many threads and you can use that to figure out what gears you want..

and about the PI stuff, do a search on PI swaps.. the PI stuff is better especially the cams and intake.. So you can either swap just the cams and intake and be a few HP short of a true PI car or you can go all out and do the heads too and be a few horsepower up on a true PI motor ( because of the added compression of the PI heads on the NPI bottom end) or the third option is swap in a junkyard PI motor

Welcome to stangnet.

I agree 100% Mike. This no way to treat a anyone new member or not. To suggest a member gets :lock: out for asking a question is nonsense. The guy ask a legitimate question. Sometimes the same questions get asked over again. All we have to do is point them in the right direction. If you don't want to reply then don't. Some of the members are not familiar with the search feature of our forum. I wasn't at first but I use it now. This forum has a wealth of info and I would like to see it stay that way. Some of us are here to help each other. Some of us here are just trouble makers. I wish those people would just leave. Everyone needs help at one time or another. Sorry for the rant. Pearl02.

nohboy33 said:
k everyone im new to this mustang business...love the car though...couple questions..changing gears wat are the pros and cons and wat size is the best? another question i have is about PI and NPI along with port and non port...wat is the difference and which is better? thanks guys

In case you're also new to message boards, understand that the questions you asked have been beaten to death ad nauseum over the ages. Gears are perhaps the most asked and talked about topic here: using the search function opens the entire archive for you to peruse offline and then post more specific questions.

In a nutshell, there really isn't a "best" ratio for the rear. It's all about your car, your combo, your driving habits, what you want, what you might do in the future etc. Normally aspirated highway cruisers might prefer stock 3.27s or an upgrade to 3.55s or 3.73s whereas automatic-equipped convertibles might prefer a 4.10. Supercharged or other power adders, whether you're in-town only or a high-miles highway driver and so on all play into the choice you make. Search the archives...all this has been discussed at length there.

PI means "performance improved" and refers to changes Ford made to the 4.6 SOHC for the 1999 model year that improved cams, cylinder heads and the intake manifold to get a 45HP gain in output over the 96-97 cars (and 35 over the 98 cars.) Swapping these later components onto an early shortblock can result in more power than a stock 99 because of the higher compression ratio. Try a search of "PI swap" to see more info.

Port and non-port? Not sure what you mean. Maybe porting NPI cylinder heads versus going for a PI swap? Might be a good way to go. Work the heads over some, get some Comp XE262H cams (for NPI apps) and an SVO intake manifold and you might be making some good numbers. Compared in price to a simple PI swap it might not be so attractive.

88CougarMan said:
Wow, nice job on posting the ****ing thing twenty times in a row! Congrats, noob! :notnice:

Pennywise2 said:
You suck at the internet. :mad: :notnice:
:lock: X12 please.

We need new members to come to this site, I know when I go to a message board for the first time and I see crap like this I find another message board to go too.

We do not want the new members bashed on.. PERIOD....

JEEZE!!!! You guys are like freegin sharks....dang back off.

Here I will be the exaple of WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE!!!!!!! Telling people to just use the search, isnt exactly friendly...and probably why we see the same peeps on here all the time. All the new people get run off.

Ok Noh, most stock GTs(year dependant) come with 3.27s. A good upgrade is 3.73s if you do alot of highway driving, or want to get a supercharger later on.
You should get 4.10s if you plan on staying all motor, and dont do a TON of highway driving.

PI heads (99-04) flow about 20CFM more than NPI....BUT when ported, the NPIs will actually flow more than ported PIs. For most people though, just go with PIs.

Now guys is that SOOO hard to do? :nonono:

Welcome to :SNSign:
Just ignore the bad attitude some have around here.

If your 96 is an auto I recommend 4.10's, if its a 5spd I recommend 3.73's or 4.10's.

As for the PI swap, many have proven lately that just doing the PI cams/ PI intake will get you about 5-10hp away from the 99+ PI motors. And its still safe to S/C down the road if you want. And if you want even more power you can buy some comp cams or VT cams and make more power than the PI swapped cars for less money(with new parts).

Just to through out some info for ya.

BTW don't let the younger immature people scare you away, there are alot of intelligent people here also...:nice:

Status
Not open for further replies.