being lazy............pwrsteering

kcobra302

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2000
latham ny
my 78 has the 2 bolt power steering rack. it has been leaking for years but is becoming more prevalent now that i am driving it more.

before i crawl under the car. is there a mounting hole for a 3 bolt rack? is it possible to do a direct swap?

the reason being is the 3 bolt racks are readily available. i would have to wait 5 to 10 days for a 2 bolt rack.

any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

As far as i know, you should be able to swap 'em. My power rack in my '78 was a 3 bolt and i put a 2 bolt non-power rack out of an '80 pinto in it. Should be able to use the 3 bolt, just only put 2 bolts in 'er unless your crossmember is drilled for that 3rd hole. (which it should be) :nice:

A three bolt rack will absolutely work in a II. In fact my II has the extra hole drilled in the crossmember for the extra rack bushing. However it was never utilized by Ford so I imagine it was a cost cutting savings with few engineering drawbacks. Both my original power rack and the rebuilt manual rack I installed had holes for three bushings but only two of them had bushings pressed into them.

d