Bellhousing Help

LMS0341

Aug 3, 2018
MN
New to the forum and in need of help. I have a 351w with a 164 tooth flywheel, and wanting to install a 65 top loader 4 speed. What bellhousing do I need to marry the narrow trans bolt pattern to the Windsor? Do I need to change to a 157 tooth flywheel? Is this even doable? Any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Do you think he might have this 4-speed if the Stang was formerly a 6-cylinder model?
dagenham4spd.png

New to the forum and in need of help. I have a 351w with a 164 tooth flywheel, and wanting to install a 65 top loader 4 speed. What bellhousing do I need to marry the narrow trans bolt pattern to the Windsor? Do I need to change to a 157 tooth flywheel? Is this even doable? Any help would be appreciated.

are you talking the four bolt top loader as horse sense alluded to, or a nine bolt top loader? the nine bolt top loader had two different bolt patterns, the early narrow upright bolt pattern, and the later wide four bolt pattern. if you have the early upright pattern V8 top loader(nine bolt top cover), then there is no bell housing to help you from the factory. the upright narrow bolt pattern was used on five bolt blocks, the later pattern was used on six bolt blocks.

but this isnt the end here. as i recall the input shaft bearing retainers are all the same diameter, which means you can center the trans up on the current bell housing, and drill and tap the necessary bolt holes to bolt up your early top loader.