Bellhousing indexing problem, PLEASE HELP

Killercanary

The car that set the bar.
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Altoona, PA
OK, to make a long story short I recently installed a new clutch setup in my car. I had indexed the bell housing back when I put the TKO in the car. I re-checked it when I put the clutch in but my magnetic base was accting up and I couldn't get a true reading... it came out about 7 thousandths and I knew I was right at 5 thousandths when I first put it in. I dial-indicated the bell using lakewood offset dowel pins, I don't remember the part number but they have a 7 stamped in the back of them. Anyway, since installing the clutch I haven't been able to hit 2nd gear at the track in my last 3 times out. I ripped it all apart and found that my clutch fork was bent and was hitting the bell housing when it was disengaged. So I got a new clutch fork today and decided to re-check the bell. Well... I have problems. Attached is a VERY POOR QUALITY drawing I made of the four measurements I took. I took measurements starting at the 6 o'clock position, then 3, 12, and 9. I set the dowel pins with there greatest offset (their highest point) at the 12 o'clock position, took my measurements, loosened the bell bolts, turned the dowels to the 9 o'clock and repeated this until I had moved the dowels from 12, 9, 6, and 3. I took my measurements by setting my dial indicator at 0 at the 6 o'clock position and took readings at the the 3, 12, and 9 o'clock position. I then repeated it just to make sure the magnetic base didn't move. The arrow in the diagram shows where the high side of the dowel pin was positioned, and the numbers are my measurements taken at their repsective positions. the 1st number in each set was the first reading I got, the second one was the one taken on the second go around. You can see where the base moved a little, but overall it was consistent.

My question is what do I do now. I'm only allowed 5 thousandths MAX and I'm a good bit above that. Do I buy a new bell? I have the aluminum tremec bell now. Or do they make even more offset dowel pins? Any help is appreciated. I have my last race of the season next weekend and I HAVE to have the car back together by then. Please help in anyway you can...

bellhousingindex.jpg

• Sponsors (?)