Benefit to having MSD stuff?

Just trying to figure out what if any benefit is it to having the full MSD setup (box, coil, distributor and wires) on a stock engine? It was recommended that I invest in it. The car is a 88GT bone stock. I do plan in the future to add some mild mods, but nothing earth shattering.

• Sponsors (?)

when you say reliability what does that mean? It will prolong the life of the engine? Improve gas mileage? I know it looks pretty cool to see that stuff under your hood. Just trying to figure what is the gain in it? Also my plan in the future consists of a mild HCI or supercharger, exhaust upgrades, electric fan..... Will the MSD addition then become more of a value?

When I say reliability I'm only talking about the ignition components. Quality MSD, Jacobs, Mallory, Accel, etc components will last longer than your Auto Zone, Advanced, Orielly, etc remanufactured parts. Now some will argue that the quality isn't the best on aftermarket parts when compared to stock motorcraft/ford parts. You won't really see gains in HP, fuel economy, driveability by upgrading unless the parts that are on your car now are worn and causing the engine to run less the optimal. Once you start upgrading components and need a more control over the ignition system that is where the aftermarket parts will make the difference. If you plan on running a supercharger, turbo, or nitrous, you will want to be able to retard the spark based on boost. This can be done with the aftermarket parts with boost controls.

I dislike the magizines showing huge hp gains with ignition upgrades. The majority of the time a simple tune up with factory parts will do the same thing. Factory ignition is good for most everyones slight mods. The nice thing with aftermarket pieces is you can set your rev limitor you can have timing retard if you are running nitrous or boost. I have after market ignition pieces and I love them since I run nitrous and it automatically takes timing out of the system.

Just trying to figure out what if any benefit is it to having the full MSD setup (box, coil, distributor and wires) on a stock engine? It was recommended that I invest in it. The car is a 88GT bone stock. I do plan in the future to add some mild mods, but nothing earth shattering.

MSD setup is pointless on a stock engine "in good tune". You only need an MSD setup when you have enough force inside the cylinders to blow out the spark. no spark = no power. A msd setup can help if your mix is too lean or to rich. Tune to the rich side lean is just not safe.

A setup like that will smooth out your idle a bit and it will rev smoother, but as mentioned it will not net you any huge power gains. You wouldn't need a setup like that unless you are running nitrous or boost. It's overkill on a stocker.

My msd digital 6 lasted a little over a year. Sent it back response was unit was fully potted and couldnt be repaired. Bad first expierience with msd might buy another one not sure yet. Tryin to save money to finish afr 165 comp,fti cam combo ill buy ignition after i get engine together.