Best 10 inch sub

LCGimp

Founding Member
Jan 10, 2002
Oregon City, OR
I'm rather new to the car audio world and I decided I want to add a sub to my mach system. I dont want to take up too much space in the trunk so i was thinking a single 10. I really dont know what is best to get, i have about 300-400 to spend. Any advice is well accepted. Also do i need to put dynamat in the trunk and is it worth doing the doors while i'm at it, if those are the only two places i do? I dont really feel like pulling up carpet just yet. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I agree... dynomat is virtually a waste of money if you have a small system.

As far as the best sub or the worst sub to get... it's sort of personal preference.. you should try and hear as many differnent brands as you can and see what you like best. Joining a car audio forum and talking with others to see what works for them isn't a bad idea either...

My friend has two rockford 10" HX2's in his hatch and they are really loud for 10's.. some people are into the alpine type r's... while others prefer them elemental subs.... there are a ton of choices! ..and if you buy online you can save a few bucks as well...

Thanks, I was sorta thinking of the dynomat to cut down on road noise, and the trunk and doors just seemed like the easiest places to start, but if its not worth it i'll scrap that idea. Guess i'll start listening to subs around town tomorrow.

I dynamated my doors and speakers in back and it made a huge difference.
The bass has tightened and increased, less road noise, and my Mach460 is sound much louder now!
Thumbs up to Dynamat.
btw...I used a dynamat alternative. Cheaper.

Well as stated above a lot of it depends on personal preference, but I've owned my fair share of subs and I'd recommend a single JL sub, probably have to be the w0 to stay with your budget.

Once again everybody is different, but I thought I'd give you a place to start.

I agree with DaFeared, try and demo as many subs as you can. Some brands to look at that you can find to demo pretty easily are Eclipse, JL, and Alpine. Other brands that might be harder to demo unless you go to some competitions, or if you can find a dealer are Elemental Designs, Adire Audio, Resonant Engineering and Image Dynamics to name a few.
If I were to recommend something, I'd say demo a 10w3 v2 at tweeter or somewhere around you and see how you like it. They're great subs, and if you team it up with a JBL BP600.1 or Alpine MRP-M350 amp you'll still be under your budget and you'll have clean low end.
JL 10w3: http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=314&1=318&3=1471 (Dual 4 ohm)
Alpine: http://www.dealznet.com/letsgodigital/mrpm350.html
JBL: http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/186
Sounddomain carries JBL's warranty and will price match the amp, don't go through ikesound, they just have their own warranty.

Just something to think about.

I know eD and Adire are factory direct so you will most likely not find a local retailer. I personally just ordered a e10k.44 from eD, plan on putting it in their recommended vented enclosure along with a Alpine MRP-M350 mono amp