Best 2003 Cobra tuner

• Sponsors (?)

4u2nv said:
In reading this, I find myself wondering why one is better than the other for the SVT. Can someone please explain?
Well they both do pretty much the same thing from the standpoint of the end user. They both will shut the T/C off, let you make changes for different gear ratio's, install a pre-defined "pulley" tune, raise or lower A/F ratio, etc. What sets the two apart is the Professional tuning software from each of the respective companies. The SCT software the Pro dyno tuner has is superior to the Revolution software the Diablo tuners have access to. So when the day comes that you want your dyno tuner to create a custom tune to upload to your car the dyno tuner with SCT software has better or more control over the thousands of different parameters compared to the Diablo Revolution software user.

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
Well they both do pretty much the same thing from the standpoint of the end user. They both will shut the T/C off, let you make changes for different gear ratio's, install a pre-defined "pulley" tune, raise or lower A/F ratio, etc. What sets the two apart is the Professional tuning software from each of the respective companies. The SCT software the Pro dyno tuner has is superior to the Revolution software the Diablo tuners have access to. So when the day comes that you want your dyno tuner to create a custom tune to upload to your car the dyno tuner with SCT software has better or more control over the thousands of different parameters compared to the Diablo Revolution software user.

U.M.

:nice:
Cool. I've often wondered why one seems to be preferable.

An interesting point. The tunes on the Predator aren't locked to a particular vehicle. It seems that one of the best known tuners has switched to the XCAL because of this situation.

03 SVT VERT said:
Does the XCaliber 2 come with pre loaded tunes too, so I can get an instant gain until I can get it to a dyno to get further tuned?

I can't answer the XCAL question. I'm sure a quick trip to their website can answer that.

To be safe you need to dyno the car while data logging the A/F ratio and other parameters using your tuning device. I went a step further and installed a Wideband Commander so I can see the A/F ratio constantly and datalog the A/F when needed. The stock tune on my Cobra was lean. The tune included with the Predator was lean. Be safe and have the A/F checked.

JakeDaSnake said:
Ok, so when you guys are talkin about Dyno Tuning....
Later,
Jake

A dyno tune is when your vehicle is connected to a computer that monitors a myriad of factors such as temperature, air/fuel ration, hp, torque....all while on a dynamometer (sp?) wheel that measures the output up to redline.

The tuner (guy/gal operating the equipment) then makes adjustments to whatever programmer/chip settings to optimize the results of the dyno and apply the appropriate settings to your vehicle. Every car is different and not all tuners (people) are great.

Did I miss anything?

4u2nv said:
A dyno tune is when your vehicle is connected to a computer that monitors a myriad of factors such as temperature, air/fuel ration, hp, torque....all while on a dynamometer (sp?) wheel that measures the output up to redline.

The tuner (guy/gal operating the equipment) then makes adjustments to whatever programmer/chip settings to optimize the results of the dyno and apply the appropriate settings to your vehicle. Every car is different and not all tuners (people) are great.

Did I miss anything?

That about covers it. Thanks for beating my to it. Saved me from typing that out :nice:

Here's a vid of my Cobra on the dyno http://nwstangs.com/users/duner/DYNO/duner2run.AVI

duner said:
An interesting point. The tunes on the Predator aren't locked to a particular vehicle. It seems that one of the best known tuners has switched to the XCAL because of this situation.
Actually I'm pretty sure they are. First thing you do with a new Predator is marriy it to the vehicles VIN. You connect it to the ODB II port and it downloads a copy of the STOCK programming from the ECM. From that point forward it will NOT be able to update or make changes to the tune of ANY OTHER ECM. At least it won't until you tell the Predator to re-upload the stock tune that it initially saved. That un-marries the Predator and you can then use it on a different vehicle. This even applies to a "Custom Tune" you've transferred into the Predator from say a PC. So... The Predator can only be used on one car at a time. I'm betting the SCT Xcal works the same way or in a similar matter.

U.M.

03 SVT VERT said:
Does the XCaliber 2 come with pre loaded tunes too, so I can get an instant gain until I can get it to a dyno to get further tuned?
Yes, but just like the Predator these "factory" tunes have to take many things into consideration so they are built on the conservative side. If you are doing just a BASIC exhaust, CAI, and 2.93 swap then the factory "Performance" tune that comes with them should be adequate (no guarantees though). You still would want to get the car to a dyno with wide band capability and ENSURE everything is safe A/F wise. When it comes to the 03/04 Cobra these handheld tuners are reduced to nothing more than a device to carry a custom tune from a professional tuner and upload it into your cars ECM. The few user defined functions they provide are pretty worthless for the most part.

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
Actually I'm pretty sure they are. First thing you do with a new Predator is marriy it to the vehicles VIN. You connect it to the ODB II port and it downloads a copy of the STOCK programming from the ECM. From that point forward it will NOT be able to update or make changes to the tune of ANY OTHER ECM. At least it won't until you tell the Predator to re-upload the stock tune that it initially saved. That un-marries the Predator and you can then use it on a different vehicle. This even applies to a "Custom Tune" you've transferred into the Predator from say a PC. So... The Predator can only be used on one car at a time. I'm betting the SCT Xcal works the same way or in a similar matter.

U.M.

Nope.

The custom tune file sent to you by the tuner can be used on any other Cobra with the same ECM code.

Here's a thread by James from Running With The Devil discussing this subject.
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/...of-hard-work-being-stolen-everyday-37334.html

duner said:
Nope.

The custom tune file sent to you by the tuner can be used on any other Cobra with the same ECM code.

Here's a thread by James from Running With The Devil discussing this subject.
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2003-2004-svt-cobra-terminator/years-of-hard-work-being-stolen-everyday-37334.html
Yes you are correct!

Sorry Duner, I misunderstood what you were saying! What I was getting at is if I took a cutom tune and loaded it on my Cobra, then walked over to your Cobra and tried to upload that same tune with the same Predator, the Predator would error out. We would have to use your personal Predator to upload that same custom tune into your car. One Predator per ECM.

That's what I was trying to say.

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
Yes you are correct!

Sorry Duner, I misunderstood what you were saying! What I was getting at is if I took a cutom tune and loaded it on my Cobra, then walked over to your Cobra and tried to upload that same tune with the same Predator, the Predator would error out. We would have to use your personal Predator to upload that same custom tune into your car. One Predator per ECM.

That's what I was trying to say.

U.M.

No problem U.M. :nice: