Engine Best aftermarket MAF?

I wouldn't recommend buying a MAF tuned for injectors, espeically anything larger than 24s if your ECU is calibrated for 19s. You need a MAF which is set to measure the estimated air mass flow rate for your engine, plus a margin of safety (+20% to 30%), and the flow vs. output voltage calibration sheet to go with it. Then you need a means of updating the MAF transfer function in your ECU along with the injector flow rates. This will solve a lot of the typical driveability problems people have when upgrading injectors and MAFs. MAF sensors with shifted flow curves to correct for the increased injector flow rates is a hack solution, and it becomes more un-workable the further you get away from the base injector size in your ECU. The best solution is to recalibrate the ECU with the correct data for the components installed. I hate to see you waste money on a questionable work-around when you've put so much time and attention into everything else that you've done with your car.
It's been done successfully for 30 years.
When all parts are installed correctly and the injector size and maf are sized correctly for the combination there are no drivability issues.

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't recommend buying a MAF tuned for injectors, espeically anything larger than 24s if your ECU is calibrated for 19s. You need a MAF which is set to measure the estimated air mass flow rate for your engine, plus a margin of safety (+20% to 30%), and the flow vs. output voltage calibration sheet to go with it. Then you need a means of updating the MAF transfer function in your ECU along with the injector flow rates. This will solve a lot of the typical driveability problems people have when upgrading injectors and MAFs. MAF sensors with shifted flow curves to correct for the increased injector flow rates is a hack solution, and it becomes more un-workable the further you get away from the base injector size in your ECU. The best solution is to recalibrate the ECU with the correct data for the components installed. I hate to see you waste money on a questionable work-around when you've put so much time and attention into everything else that you've done with your car.
Is that what I sound like talking about music theory and adjudicating performances? ;-)
After re-reading, there is likely some good advice. Where do you still find the services to recalibrate a stock ECU? Do you have the names and links to good tuners on these old computers? Is someone still doing the external chip thing?

Maybe I just stick the 19s in and use the MAF I currently have (SN95 70mm). All I plan on doing is idling and drive up an down the street to work out bugs.

again, just to emphasis, I just want to make sure the engine runs and be able to do things like charge the AC, bleed the hydroboost and bleed the cooling system. I have no desire to do any tuning to the A9L as I’ll be sticking it on a shelf shortly after.

I can stick the 30s on when I go megasquirt. Then all I need is a MAF with known transfer functions, which to be honest I can get with the pro-m as they will send me a 30 point curve in which I can plug those values into megasquirt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is that what I sound like talking about music theory and adjudicating performances? ;-)
After re-reading, there is likely some good advice. Where do you still find the services to recalibrate a stock ECU? Do you have the names and links to good tuners on these old computers? Is someone still doing the external chip thing?

Good question. I don't know of any tuners to recommend. Here are links to the electronics to do it yourself.

https://www.tweecer.com/

https://www.moates.net/

• Useful
Decipha @ efidynotuning.com tunes them with the Moates Quarterhorse. The Quarterhorse and TurnerPro is actually a powerful tuning solution for these cars and allows you to do a lot.

• Useful