Best antifreeze for cooling properties

MrPerfect2

Jul 23, 2019
Washington DC
I will be doing my radiator change now that spring is here - I had prestone green 50/50 in it - I will flush out the system good with hose water then run some distilled water to finish flush . What type and ratio of antifreeze have you guys tried . I live in an area that gets below freezing in winter btw . I considered using the water wetter products but heard some stories of how they don’t mix well with antifreeze . Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

70/30 water to antifreeze usually tends to cook better than 50/50, but if you’re having issues then that will most likely not solve your issues.

If you are not having cooling issues and this is just maintenance, well lets see what a gallon jug of Peak Antifreeze advises: (tested with 15lb cap at sea level)
50/50 mix good between -34* to 265*
60/40 -62* to 270*
70/30. -84* to 276*

I put a new OEM radiator in - it seemed to stabilize the temp swings - got 70/30 water/anti mix in now . Drove hard about 20 miles and temps ranged 175-185 ( must have a 180 thermostat in ) ambient is only 70 though - will see how temp in summer is

Reactions: 1 users
Car drives a lot cooler now - 1 hr straight at 65 mph @1800 rpm and needle between 178-182 degrees - I also read that 192 thermostat best for the car because of ECU and oil vapor burn off - should I switch to 192 or just say F it and be glad it’s running good ?

Thanks General , the car has been a blast to drive ! Top down in summer with tunes pumping - only thing better would be having a hot busty blond in passenger seat while I cruise!
I did just that down the right coast years ago.
All she did was complain about the heat in the daytime, cold at night and the wind messing up her hair. :doh:

Reactions: 1 user
Update on my radiator change - put about 500 miles since I changed the radiator ( I used a new OEM single core btw - $90 shipped ) put 60% distilled water and 40% green Prestone in . Car has been running perfect ! Stays between 178 - 185 ( used to creep up to 220 in spring weather ) - ambient temps out just starting to get into 80s - job took 2-3 hours and was exact fit -

Reactions: 2 users
When the time comes for me to replace something in the cooling system, I plan to put a filter on it. After seeing some of the crap the classic car guys end up capturing, I'm a believer.

Well I have never seen a need for a filter in the cooling system. Best example I can give is 'the dump truck':
600,000 miles
3 water pumps, changed thermostat same time, 1 upper hose ( improper install, no, I did not do it!) radiator changed once, oil cooler replaced once. That's it!
But that is my experience.

Filter sounds interesting , but it would have to be like a pool filter and big enough not to clog fast and easy to clean - otherwise circulation would slow when dirty ?

No, it doesn't. Not unless it has a full-sized bypass if the filter should get clogged.

It sounds like it might be a good thing for a race car where it is checked after each and every run but I wouldn't put it on my street car unless I planned to do the same.

• Agree
No, it doesn't. Not unless it has a full-sized bypass if the filter should get clogged.

It sounds like it might be a good thing for a race car where it is checked after each and every run but I wouldn't put it on my street car unless I planned to do the same.

Exactly, filter in a bad idea, not only that Jags over all do not have a great rep.

Op make sure car has a shroud, important item. Actually some test have proven straight water best for cooling. Antifreez raise the boiling point. But does not translate into better cooling, temperature wise.