Best Cams For My Build

Cmc3567

Dec 9, 2015
Louisiana
Finished doing my bottom end with all forged internals with -17 cc dished Pistons it's a 97 4.6 put of a GT putting it in my 98 GT I have all high volume oil pump and pickup also bought the truck flow twisted wedge heads wanted to run a stage two comp cam but not exactly sure about valve clearance and springs being that the heads r brand new will them springs handle the stage two cam don't want to fly cut pistons either r should I just run a stage 1 cam.it is a super charged motor and compression was 9-7to1 before the heads not sure it changes it being im building like a Pi motor any feedback would greatly be appreciated thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Trick flow heads by design give you much more PTV clearance. These heads are designed for maximum flow, high rev, and aggressive cams. Realize that "stage 2" encompasses a very wide range of different specs depending on the company.

As a rough guess- you will have plenty of space and PTV will not be a problem with "stage 2" cams.

Remember - more aggressive cams means possible loss of a good chunk of your lower end, a narrow power band, and loss of drivability. Match the cam to your goals. If you have gears and plan on making this a drag monster then look at your shift points / rpm band and consider the aggressive cam that will max out your powerband. If this is a street car then look for something more mild to keep drivability.

I would get a cam designed for the trickflow head to get the best outcome. The stock TF heads usually have the light 90lb springs - make sure you check what springs you have (go with at least the the 125lb version if you are FI), make sure your heads are the appropriate chamber size because there are 38cc and 44cc heads (calculate your compression ratio).

You would likely get gains from any cam but why not get something that has been proven / designed for this completely different head?

This is an example of different options from MHS:
http://www.modularheadshop.com/c-12...-6l-5-4l-2v-tfs-blower-nitrous-camshafts.html