Drivetrain Best Clutch and Flywheel Combo?

01Stang65

Jan 19, 2017
I am in the middle of replacing my 4.6 (Romeo) engine in my 01 Mustang. The first thing I noticed and couldn't get over when I removed the engine was how ugly and rusty the outside of the clutch and flywheel were. Before I removed the engine I noticed a constant squealing when engaging/holding the clutch, although it never slipped or misbehaved to my knowledge. As preventative maintenance I decided to get a new clutch and possibly a flywheel.

Car has exhaust and 3.73s, other than that it is stock, although in the next couple years I plan on adding some power. What would you guys recommend? I was looking at a couple options and don't want to break the bank. This Mcleod Clutch would be really nice, its affordable and would give me room to get a flywheel. This Centerforce looks really nice as well, and I would have no problem dishing out the cash for it if I knew I could save my current flywheel, unless the flywheel needs to be upgraded to handle this clutch. Just looking for options here and other recommendations. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Do you know if the flywheel is set up for a 10.5" or 11" clutch?

Normally a 2001+ should have an 11" clutch. Why is this important? Because the stock 11" has much better holding power than a 10.5". Using a stock 11" allows you to have a "stock" pedal feel plug the additional holding power.

I'm using a "stock" style LUK 11" clutch and love it. The clutch pedal force won't wear your leg out.

Do you know if the flywheel is set up for a 10.5" or 11" clutch?

Normally a 2001+ should have an 11" clutch. Why is this important? Because the stock 11" has much better holding power than a 10.5". Using a stock 11" allows you to have a "stock" pedal feel plug the additional holding power.

I'm using a "stock" style LUK 11" clutch and love it. The clutch pedal force won't wear your leg out.

As said above, it's a Romeo car, backed with a tr3650 and an 11" wheel.

Looks like having my current flywheel resurfaced may not be the best route, but it only has 70k miles so I'll have my local shop take a good look at it.

With my budget being in the +/-$500 range, that doesn't leave me a whole lot of room for a clutch if I have to buy a flywheel. I am very much considering the McLeod clutch mentioned above with a McLeod flywheel.

I’m interested in what you guys think about a clutch and flywheel as well. I have a 2001 cobra and I’m thinking the clutch is stock. Anyways I’ve added some power making 430 and 392ft/lbs of torque at the wheels. Seems to me the clutch can’t hold it and every now and then get the smell of a hot clutch. I have a small oil leak anyways coming from the rear main so it’s time to pull the trans out to fix it and may as well change the clutch out for something more supportive. Any kits you guys have bought that hold up well? I’ve been looking at Exedy and McLeod but don’t want to over pay for something that is more than I need at this time