best clutch for my needs??

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
ok i am sure all of you know my plans for my car....
i wont be making that much power above stock so should i just get a cheap autozone/oreilly clutch kit???

i mean if a got a good FRPP clutch or the like, i would need to get a better quadrant and cable kit etc etc. I am really on a budget, i mean a SMALL BUDGET. so should the parts store clutch do for now???

• Sponsors (?)

The renewal of the quadrant and cable are not really dependant upon your choice of clutch. That comes down to simple miles and age on those things (they can wear out with any brand of clutch).

I bet a parts store clutch does you well. Valeo is OEM and is very well regarded as far as clutches go (some parts store clutch kits use Valeo).

D&D used to sell new OEM clutch kits for about 100 bucks IIRC.

Good luck.

i agree with jt, or if you have some additional power plans later on. you can invest in a king cobra clutch now and it will still work well on a street/ocassional track car and holds 400 hp.

they arent much more then an oem unit from the sounds of it, about 160 on ebay i believe.

On a stock T5, stick with a OEM clutch, the tranny itself will let go before it does.

I had my stock clutch and powershifted my car all the time with no issues. Put in a SpecIII and right after break in, is snapped the inputshaft to countershaft gear cluster.

yeah i would rather have the clutch be the weak link rather than the tranny..... also i am a pretty easy driver, i dont plan to powershift, i am pretty easy on cars while cruising. Whenever i get the urge i drive spiritedly.

BrianB31 said:
Yeah autozone lists a different kit for a '93-95 Cobra than the stock GT. They are made by duralast so I don't know who makes them. Advance carries perfection clutch which makes Zoom cluthces as well.

Perfection number for king cobra replacement is MU70071-1
dont know what autozones number is , but if the 93-95 cobra listing is different that is probably the same

Foxfan88 said:
so just go up and say " i need a clutch kid for a 93 mustang cobra?"

yes , and autozone and advance clutches are as good as any thing you are going to get from ford racing as far as a clutch is concerned , unless you go with the centrifugal one which is made by centerforce

I have the Ford Racing HD clutch and it's great. The pedal is a little on the firm side, but I prefer that.

The way I see it, clutches are kind of a PITA to change, so it's worth the peace of mind to spend a little bit more for something you know will last. Not saying that parts store clutches are bad (I have no experience with them), just that you can be sure the Ford stuff is good...