best clutch for the power

5.0fresh

Jun 10, 2007
hey im shopping for a new clutch and i have looked at the king cobra and a couple centerforces but i didnt know there was many diffrent centerforces. my mods are in my sig and i am more then likely installing a brand new vortech(v-1 the base 5-6psi kit) dont worry about pricing i just want to know what will give me the most reliablitly and something i wont burn through quickly.

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, KC is perfect for your setup. It can easily handle your power, and it being on a stock T5, it won't be so strong that it will end up breaking your tranny. Like 88mouse said, too strong of a clutch on too weak of a tranny can cause problems. You want your clutch to be the weakest point between your engine and tranny.

Yea, KC is perfect for your setup. It can easily handle your power, and it being on a stock T5, it won't be so strong that it will end up breaking your tranny. Like 88mouse said, too strong of a clutch on too weak of a tranny can cause problems. You want your clutch to be the weakest point between your engine and tranny.

perfectly said :nice: you have to have a weak link somwewhere

i had a kc in my capri an it was nice, but i was stock motor with bolt ons. blew 2 stock T-5s but that could have been becuz they were both used an beat there whole lives idk. but, from what i know/heard about the king cobra its not made for slicks and idk if it will hold well with a charger. friend of mine had a notch with b303 cam(i think) an ported vitor juniors with 3:90s an full exhaust with the king cobra. he also had et streets on the back which i believe were 9.5X16s an it used to slip the clutch tryin to launch after heatin the tires up a lil. T5's are always the weekest link like blackenedlx stated so i would go with a spec or centerforce df. pedal effort has alot to do with what kinda cable you use to. steeda is the best cable an quadrant out there imo.

ive had specs and now I have a Mcleod twin disc, so a bit much for you, but it feels like have an hydrolic clutch the pedal is so nice you would never even know its there.

ive got a centerforce DF with a KC pressure plate. and a g-force t-5. i wouldnt suggest this setup, its not enough clamping force for the CF disc. i was throwin some sparks off my flywheel the other day while doin a burnout. still grabs real good tho!! lol

i say go with King Cobra. mine lasted a long time and the car was consistantly in the low 12s.

Check the clutch swap help link in my signature for part numbers and brief descriptions of each.

My vote goes for the CF. Softest pedal in the industry. Personally, if I were you, I would go with the Gold Class CF (Stage 1) or the Stage II CF.

im gettin a lot of mixed responses, its sounds like the kc can handle the power but they pedal is pretty rough. if i were to go with the cf which one would you say to go with?

Check the clutch swap help link in my signature for part numbers and brief descriptions of each.

My vote goes for the CF. Softest pedal in the industry. Personally, if I were you, I would go with the Gold Class CF (Stage 1) or the Stage II CF.

listen to what he says, he's been around for 6+ years which means he has tried or knows people that have had everything.
If i were you I would buy that Gold class CF stage 1 unless one day you think you'll be doing something with 100 more hp's then go Stage II

well i hope to be some where around the 400 marker after the s/c but i do not have the money for that and to rebuild the tranny after if somthing happens right away. anyway i went to centerforces site and i tried to add the stage II and everytime i click on it in my cart it only is the pressure plate.??

If you dont have one already get a steel bearing retainer and a fresh stock clutch cable, that will make the pedal effort better.

I *heard* mixed things about kc pedal effort, maybe the people who say its hard have a crappy retainer or a frayed gummy cable.:shrug:

well i looked at the spec stage 1 and its rated at 402torque and i dont see myself gettin any higher with such low boost and it saves my self 100$ is the stage 2 isnt necessary. are these quality products?

If you dont have one already get a steel bearing retainer and a fresh stock clutch cable, that will make the pedal effort better.

I *heard* mixed things about kc pedal effort, maybe the people who say its hard have a crappy retainer or a frayed gummy cable.:shrug:

thats what my thoughts were, cuz everyone says how hard the pedal effort with a KC is. mine was nice and easy :shrug: