best deal on an alternator upgrade?

chrishicks

Apr 30, 2005
I'm wanting to upgrade to a higher amp alt. and I have no idea as to where to look for any bargains. the best I have seen is 200.00 for a 130A alt. is this the cheapest that I can get one at? I'm getting some stereo stuff installed this weekend and I just don't have much faith in my factory alt.

• Sponsors (?)

You can probably find a good 3rd gen. alternator at a junkyard.. there's a list floating around somewhere of what vehicles have them, sorry I can't produce it for you.

Otherwise, PA performance has a true 130amp 3g alternator you can buy. I found mine on ebay for $45 + $30 for shipping.

Right, ebay has guys that sell their own 3G's or equivelants.

an alt from a parts store for a 94-95 mustang would work too.

as Sgarlic said, if one searches on here, a list can be found of all the years and models of cars with 3G's that work.

good luck.

I got a 130 from performancedistributors.com for like 175.00 I had to grind the bracket a little but it was no big deal. The harness that came with it didn't quite work on my model, but you can by 2G to 3G harnesses at a lot of places online. I ended up just wiring mine without a harness. You'll have to tap the upper bolt hole as well. Don't know if you have to do that on all the aftermarket ones or not.

One thing that you can do is have a buddy at an Advance or Autozone and have him trade in your "defective" alt for a 94-95. its a free upgrade and then just tip the guy..... or, so i hear thats how it works. :D

I wasn't all that impressed with the dyna batt. It drained on me once while I had my top end apart for a couple weeks and would never charger back up enought to start the car. Maybe I screwed it up on the charger or something or maybe is just sucks. I set it on a low charge level like they suggest though. Oh well.

I've got a grand worth of tranny parts sitting in my 86 right now waiting to be installed. I'm getting the whole thing redone next week and it should be kicking some serious ass in a couple of weeks. I'll let you all know how it runs when the tranny is done.

now does the guage still work with the above upgrades? I was reading in another thread about installing the Powermaster 1 wire setup and the charge guage no longer working afterwards.

TheBocSez said:
I went with this one. Hasnt arrived yet, should be here Monday. Rebuilt stock casing with new upgraded internals for 140a. Bolts in with no mods to the bracket. I contacted 10 of his other buyers and they are all happy with it. Got it for 135.00 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...3626933&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN
Holy engine fire, Batman!!! Connecting that stock spade connector to a 140 alt is asking for your car to go up in flames! Good luck with that one!

Nick

bumping this back up for another question:

I can get a brand new 130A alt. for a 95 Musatang(v6) for 100.00 or used for 65.00. if I buy this can someone tell me everything else I need to get in order to use it besides the 4 guage wire? what harness do I use? can I get it from a junkyard or dealer?

Try an internet search, search for Jrichker's post about it, or just search threads. You will find varying opinions on what is required and how is best to do it.

good luck.