Best Engine Combo?

• Sponsors (?)

what you have to understand is that it isnt simply a matter of the intank pump. the lines and rails are small and thus restrictive. also, it depends on the fuel pressure. the higher the fuel pressure the less the pumps flow. so in a forced induction application if you are pushing your FP to 100 psi (which i wouldnt recommend, but in a boosted application you at least need to raise the FP 1 psi for every lb of boost to overcome the pressure differential), it is entirely possible for the 255 to be flowing less than a 155 would at 35 psi. it is an inverse relationship. also due to the fact that forced induction combos have a higher brake specific fuel consumption than a normally aspirated combo.

I don't consider that any more risky than having a single pump fail in a two pump system. Either scenario would be a disaster during a pump failure.
this is true... the cobra and lightning owners have the options to run a 3rd pump these days. and im really not a fan. at that point id go to a fuel cell and run a big magnafuel external

not a chance in hell... end of story! you can do all the math you want till your blue in the face. you'll never make 700hp on a single 255 on any power adder car.

OK, so you're the 3rd person to confirm that. I'd done the math based solely on the higher BSFC of a supercharged engine so it's obviously not as simple as I first thought.

what you have to understand is that it isnt simply a matter of the intank pump. the lines and rails are small and thus restrictive. also, it depends on the fuel pressure. the higher the fuel pressure the less the pumps flow. so in a forced induction application if you are pushing your FP to 100 psi (which i wouldnt recommend, but in a boosted application you at least need to raise the FP 1 psi for every lb of boost to overcome the pressure differential), it is entirely possible for the 255 to be flowing less than a 155 would at 35 psi. it is an inverse relationship.

Thanks for that heads up Clement. I hadn't taken into account the fall in fuel pump flow as the fuel pressure rises (especially at higher rpm) in a boosted application so your explanation does answer my earlier query very nicely.