Best engine rebuild kit for 92 Ford Mustang 2.3L

Kevin Elliott

Mar 30, 2019
Cheyenne
I'm looking for recommendations for and complete engine rebuild kit for a 2.3L 4 Cylinder. My son has fallen in love with a 92 Mustang and we want to build it as a project for his first car. We'd like to start with forged pistons, rods, and a long stroke crank. Then Install a aftermarket turbo and manifolds and a larger exhaust with a dump. From what I've read we'll need to replace the cam, timing gears and belt with aftermarket type too. Do we need to install a billet distributor or can we use the stock ignition coil packs? I just don't know where to start there are a lot of aftermarket parts available from cheap to very expensive so I thought I might ask if someone here has built a similar engine and would be able to give some good advice! He's h*ll bent on a 4 cylinder turbo and I don't have much experience with them it seems easier to just build a V8 but it's what he want's to do. Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Might get long but here is a short version.

'92 will have a small journal block (2.3). Meaning....the main journals are smaller than the 72-89 2.3's. No big deal, re-use the original crank if it's good. It'll take turbo power just fine (well, within reason of course). BUT the '92 block will NOT have provision for the turbocharger's oil drain, where the factory turbo 2.3's DID have it (passenger side, about center of block, kinda toward the rear). '80-'89 N/A blocks have the boss for the fitting, but it is not drilled (easy fix, drill/tap it). On small journal blocks, it's usually easier to drill the aluminum oil pan for a fitting but make sure it's about in line with a main cap, so that crank windage won't interfere with the turbo's gravity-fed drain. Real easy.

The head. There were several different heads available for all 2.3's. The '92 head is a dual plug head (8 spark plugs)-which CAN be used, but it will yield a higher compression ratio than the turbo heads did. Might pose a problem on a pump gas street car. The problem there is that un-cracked turbo heads are about as scarce as hair on a bullfrog. The N/A dual plug head can be used, but it will need mods. They respond pretty well to porting too but only by a porter who knows what he's doing....because there's water real near the bowl areas, and haphazardly grinding will yield a hole in a port rendering it a boat anchor. A ported iron head is availble from boport (bo-port.com), if you have the money available for it. They aren't cheap but they're (at least the stage 3) is a bad dude as far as iron heads go. Some guys have made 500+ hp out of a 2.3 with a ported iron head....

There is a pretty significant aftermarket for these old Lima 2.3 turbo engines, thus they can be built from stock to 800+hp. All depends on what you want.

Swapping a 2.3 turbo (Lima) into a '90-'93 fox body is not hard, BUT I'll warn you, it's also not a cake walk. The IRCM is in the way of everything. If you want to use a/c, the compressor makes things get tight quick with a turbo also occupying that side of the engine. The factory 4 cylinder open differential 7.5" rear end will end up in instant one-wheel tire smoke with a manual transmission's 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear. That's with a mostly stock engine, with a roller cam out of a junkyard at 18psi. So you'll want to at least use a LSD unit from a Bronco II in a junkyard or even a Ranger if you can find them. But...when you go to rebuild that LSD, the "kit" is quite expensive, even though it's nearly (but not exactly) the same stuff as an 8.8's LSD rebuild kit which is half of the cost.

Factory forged pistons are out there, but used. TRW/Speed pro discontinued them years ago, so new stuff, you're looking at CP/Carillo, Wiseco, Diamond. All of which are over $500 for FOUR pistons. Rods? Stock rods are ok, but they are NOT bulletproof....I'd highly suggest upgrading to aftermarket, which is again, about $450 or so for FOUR of them.. 5.0 and 5.8 stuff is a lot of times cheaper as far as pistons and rods go.

You'll also want a front mount intercooler, Stinger's kit "bolts on". So does his exhaust system. I use a single 3" exhaust on my '93 coupe. Turbo back (including the elbow). With magnaflow muffler, it's not horribly loud, but you can hear it....and a Lima 2.3, even with a turbo, sounds like a tractor. They do not sound like any ricer or anything else for that matter, they have a sound all their own. Some say they like it. Me? Sounds like a tractor. Definitely different.

I like mine..as said, it's a '87 Turbocoupe engine swapped into a '93 coupe, using a 5 speed, using stinger's FMIC, exhaust, and I swaped the little baby IHI turbo for a TB0344, AKA T3. Automatic transmission won't work for long with a turbo engine. The auto's are real weak, BUT they can be built up if your pockets are deep enough. 5 speed is the only way to go, IMO. The stock 2.3 T5 works ok for a mild, under 300hp engine but it too won't last forever if the driver beats on it. Mine's still going...though I do not know how with as many miles that's on it. Fuel economy is not any better than a V8 either (low to mid 20's usually but on the 55mph highways, it will sometimes bump 30).

Long stroke crank, it ain't gonna be cheap because there isn't much out there. You can easily put a 2.5L crank into a 2.3 small journal block, but if you're going to add a turbo later on, you'll want the correct pistons and rods for the stroker. A 2.3 can be made into 2.8L but with a tall deck block and a billet crankshaft, both of which are not easy to find and thus expensive. You could easily fork over $3000 for just those two parts alone if you can even find 'em. Besides, a stock 2.3 crank will take a LOT of abuse. Mini-stock circle track guys run them upwards and over 10,000 RPM for long time. The 2.3 engine is a VERY good engine as far as longevity and its' oiling system is top notch, but they are not bulletproof when it comes to turbocharging them and/or making a ton of power. 300hp is fairly easy with a T3 turbo and the stock computer with mild head work. Beyond that, you're looking at bigger turbo, more head work, more fuel (aftermarket ecu), higher boost levels, ported and/or custom intakes, etc.

Look at stinger's site....the tech info is priceless when you're doing the swap as far as the electrical/wiring stuff goes. The forums are handy too. Another site to check out is turboford.org; but be prepared...they can be kind of "cliquish" there...and use the search function before posting.

Might get long but here is a short version.

'92 will have a small journal block (2.3). Meaning....the main journals are smaller than the 72-89 2.3's. No big deal, re-use the original crank if it's good. It'll take turbo power just fine (well, within reason of course). BUT the '92 block will NOT have provision for the turbocharger's oil drain, where the factory turbo 2.3's DID have it (passenger side, about center of block, kinda toward the rear). '80-'89 N/A blocks have the boss for the fitting, but it is not drilled (easy fix, drill/tap it). On small journal blocks, it's usually easier to drill the aluminum oil pan for a fitting but make sure it's about in line with a main cap, so that crank windage won't interfere with the turbo's gravity-fed drain. Real easy.

The head. There were several different heads available for all 2.3's. The '92 head is a dual plug head (8 spark plugs)-which CAN be used, but it will yield a higher compression ratio than the turbo heads did. Might pose a problem on a pump gas street car. The problem there is that un-cracked turbo heads are about as scarce as hair on a bullfrog. The N/A dual plug head can be used, but it will need mods. They respond pretty well to porting too but only by a porter who knows what he's doing....because there's water real near the bowl areas, and haphazardly grinding will yield a hole in a port rendering it a boat anchor. A ported iron head is availble from boport (bo-port.com), if you have the money available for it. They aren't cheap but they're (at least the stage 3) is a bad dude as far as iron heads go. Some guys have made 500+ hp out of a 2.3 with a ported iron head....

There is a pretty significant aftermarket for these old Lima 2.3 turbo engines, thus they can be built from stock to 800+hp. All depends on what you want.

Swapping a 2.3 turbo (Lima) into a '90-'93 fox body is not hard, BUT I'll warn you, it's also not a cake walk. The IRCM is in the way of everything. If you want to use a/c, the compressor makes things get tight quick with a turbo also occupying that side of the engine. The factory 4 cylinder open differential 7.5" rear end will end up in instant one-wheel tire smoke with a manual transmission's 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear. That's with a mostly stock engine, with a roller cam out of a junkyard at 18psi. So you'll want to at least use a LSD unit from a Bronco II in a junkyard or even a Ranger if you can find them. But...when you go to rebuild that LSD, the "kit" is quite expensive, even though it's nearly (but not exactly) the same stuff as an 8.8's LSD rebuild kit which is half of the cost.

Factory forged pistons are out there, but used. TRW/Speed pro discontinued them years ago, so new stuff, you're looking at CP/Carillo, Wiseco, Diamond. All of which are over $500 for FOUR pistons. Rods? Stock rods are ok, but they are NOT bulletproof....I'd highly suggest upgrading to aftermarket, which is again, about $450 or so for FOUR of them.. 5.0 and 5.8 stuff is a lot of times cheaper as far as pistons and rods go.

You'll also want a front mount intercooler, Stinger's kit "bolts on". So does his exhaust system. I use a single 3" exhaust on my '93 coupe. Turbo back (including the elbow). With magnaflow muffler, it's not horribly loud, but you can hear it....and a Lima 2.3, even with a turbo, sounds like a tractor. They do not sound like any ricer or anything else for that matter, they have a sound all their own. Some say they like it. Me? Sounds like a tractor. Definitely different.

I like mine..as said, it's a '87 Turbocoupe engine swapped into a '93 coupe, using a 5 speed, using stinger's FMIC, exhaust, and I swaped the little baby IHI turbo for a TB0344, AKA T3. Automatic transmission won't work for long with a turbo engine. The auto's are real weak, BUT they can be built up if your pockets are deep enough. 5 speed is the only way to go, IMO. The stock 2.3 T5 works ok for a mild, under 300hp engine but it too won't last forever if the driver beats on it. Mine's still going...though I do not know how with as many miles that's on it. Fuel economy is not any better than a V8 either (low to mid 20's usually but on the 55mph highways, it will sometimes bump 30).

Long stroke crank, it ain't gonna be cheap because there isn't much out there. You can easily put a 2.5L crank into a 2.3 small journal block, but if you're going to add a turbo later on, you'll want the correct pistons and rods for the stroker. A 2.3 can be made into 2.8L but with a tall deck block and a billet crankshaft, both of which are not easy to find and thus expensive. You could easily fork over $3000 for just those two parts alone if you can even find 'em. Besides, a stock 2.3 crank will take a LOT of abuse. Mini-stock circle track guys run them upwards and over 10,000 RPM for long time. The 2.3 engine is a VERY good engine as far as longevity and its' oiling system is top notch, but they are not bulletproof when it comes to turbocharging them and/or making a ton of power. 300hp is fairly easy with a T3 turbo and the stock computer with mild head work. Beyond that, you're looking at bigger turbo, more head work, more fuel (aftermarket ecu), higher boost levels, ported and/or custom intakes, etc.

Look at stinger's site....the tech info is priceless when you're doing the swap as far as the electrical/wiring stuff goes. The forums are handy too. Another site to check out is turboford.org; but be prepared...they can be kind of "cliquish" there...and use the search function before posting.
Thanks this is great information just what I needed!

Thanks for replying but the engine is a 4 cylinder 2.3L. The build looks gorgeous though!
The link to Stinger he posted is for the 2.3.

Also see:
http://racerwalsh.com/
http://www.esslingeracing.com/
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/2-3-ford-inline-four~131584-231-37

The popularity of these engines in circle track and road racing (and drag racing among diehards like Jon Huber, who has a 9-second fox-body with a stroked turbo 2.3 in it) has resulted in a niche market with very high quality vendors and manufacturers in it. The fact that most of these parts are raced means reputation is everything to these guys.

I miss my old 2.3L cars, had two of them (one a fox, one a Mustang II). Such fun little overbuilt monsters (seriously, look at the size of the main caps and journals on one, it's way beefier than it needs to be).

They are strong engines, but they aren't bulletproof. The cam towers tend to break unless they're strapped when used with high valve spring pressures and lots of RPM. There are only 4 cam towers (I thought there should've been 5 but in factory 90hp configuration, they run forever). Keeping the bottom end in one piece is tough too once you get some appreciable horsepower out of them. When I said expensive, I meant it. A stage 3 head can be $2000+ depending on the options. Yeah Huber went 9's. Some others have gone into the 8's. Local guy has one in a SN95 that's been in the 5.80 range in the 1/8 mile. There's potential-depending on how much one is willing to spend. For a lot of us, 300hp is PLENTY. When it hits, with the T3 turbo it's like flipping a switch at about 2800 RPM give or take. Goes from maybe 85 hp to double that easily in a split second. Fun. Stock rods aren't known to be real strong either, so that is a consideration. For a mild sub 300hp build, they're fine as long as the tune is ok. The problem is that good rods aren't cheap and you only get half a set. Same for pistons. One can put $1500 into a short block real quick. I was real lucky in finding a set of NOS TRW L2500 +30's for mine, for under $200 with the proper rings. I don't think I've got $2000 in the whole car but that's finding a LOT of GOOD parts locally from a fellow Turbo 2.3 guru who got out of that hobby. I mean a LOT of parts, stuff that I'm still selling off slowly.

Reactions: 1 user