Best Exhaust For A Grand

fords2fast4u

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2000
Mission Viejo, CA
So I bought my 5th foxbody last November, my teal 1993 cobra. My third cobra and I finally got one I think I'll keep for a while! Anyways, it has the rare black cloth interior, some AFR 165s w/ a TFS intake and the usual bolt ons, gears, exhaust, etc.

So my throw out bearing broke in half a month ago, prompting my first dive into buying new parts and I got all excited and bought more than I needed. I replaced the clutch and bearing with a Ram kit and figured I'd put in a steel billet flywheel and aluminum driveshaft just because... and a accufab TB and poly trans mounts.

Anyways, while I was under the car on the lift, I removed some heat wrap that was on the exhaust and it's all rusted to hell. Even has some cracks and leaks. The car itself has no rust, which I knew, but the poor condition of the long tubes, MAC prochamber with Cats and the fact that one of my mufflers is bent up from hitting something (and the stock tail pipes look sad with the nice teal cobra rear bumper...I digress.) got me thinking I need a whole new system.

I priced a new set of ceramic coated long tubes, X pipe, and flowmaster catback with the polished tips at $1032. BBK or MAC I don't care which, I've had both previously. I know I want a X pipe and don't want 1-chambers or borla XR-1s, also parts I've had before and don't want to sound like a harrier jet taking off anymore (and I want to be able to hear the radio while on the highway, I guess I'm getting old).

My question is, what is your best recommended setup, from the heads to the bumper? I'd like to keep it around 1000, though I know it'll be closer to 1300 after other costs.

Stainless steel or aluminized?
Any real benefit to having equal length long tubes?
A better catback then flowmaster's? I hear good things about Magnaflow and I know borla makes a really good product, but their mufflers are $200-$400 each and I haven't seen a kit made specifically for my car like the flowmaster kits clearly are.

Your thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Have you checked out Bassani? Very nice stuff but are expensive. Ceramic coated long tubes alone are going to eat up 1/2 the cost minimum. The DynoMax mufflers are a nice fairly quiet piece.

@hoopty5.0 put some magnaflow copy muffs on his car recently. They are stainless, sound EXACTLY like magnaflows are are something like 50 bucks each. Great sound. Summit or jegs brand, don't remember which.

Reactions: 1 user
I've had Magnaflow on every fox that I have street driven, and currently run Jegs 2.5" magnaflow knockoffs. I drive mine on the highway and in stop/go traffic 50 miles daily and could not be happier. I only get exhaust notes when I'm taking off and WOT. There is no drone on the highway. The setup is 1 5/8 long tubes, O/R H pipe, and a homebuilt catback that I pieced together for under $300. I bought the 2.5" flow tubes from LMR @ $65, the mufflers from Jegs @ $100, and some used 3" VRS tailpipes for $75. I installed it all myself, so labor cost was not a factor.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGVQr9hJlok

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na5exdvXOMQ

Reactions: 1 user
A5literman - I haven't checked out Bassani just because they're no carried by the typical mustang stores that I know of? Summit, Jegs, LateModelResto, CJ Pony parts...

hoopty5.0 that setup sounds pretty good! Not too loud but a nice tone. thanks!

I used to do so much more research than I do now - I just don't have the time unfortunately. I used to read every single tech article in every mag, now I barely google stuff before I order it. Priorities ha

A5literman - I haven't checked out Bassani just because they're no carried by the typical mustang stores that I know of? Summit, Jegs, LateModelResto, CJ Pony parts...

hoopty5.0 that setup sounds pretty good! Not too loud but a nice tone. thanks!

I used to do so much more research than I do now - I just don't have the time unfortunately. I used to read every single tech article in every mag, now I barely google stuff before I order it. Priorities ha
Late model sells them fwiw

I have SS bassanni from long tubes, 3" true X pipe and cat back. The whole system cost about $1600.00. This is by far the best exhaust set up I've had on a mustang, it's somewhere between a supper 40 and magna flow. No drone just a great tone, every time I drive the car I get comiments on the way it sounds.

Reactions: 1 users
Stainless vs. Alluminized
1. How long are you going to own this teal Cobra (before you sell it to me)?

2. Is the car going to be shown ever?

If the answers are not long and never, alluminumized it is. If the first answer is forever or the second is yes, go with ceramic coated headers and stainless on the rest. If you are broke, that answers it too.