Best exhaust set up for our cars?

JOSTANG75

Jun 5, 2003
RHODE ISLAND
I just purchased a new 04 Gt and my first mod/change that I would like to do of course is exhaust. What would you guys recommend is the best option a new catback exhaust from lets say Flowmaster or just change the mufflers? Will one sound louder over the other? I'm looking for that throaty sound when you hit the gas and more of a "bubbly" but noticieable sound at idle. I've tried to listen to sound clips from Mustang Exhaust but they really don't sound that much different from one to another. Any opinion will help, thanks. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

IMO there is no best exhaust. It's all in your taste and what you want to hear. I'm sure some make more HP than others, but I don't think it's that much of a difference. As far as weld in mufflers or cat back, I think cat back is better, because they have biggerpipes than stock I think it's 2.25" versus 2.50".

Nick3561 said:
S - L - P

While I love SLP and will be putting the Loudmouth on my car sometime, I think that's almost the opposite of what he wants.

If you want the loud muscle car sound, get flowmasters and just weld the mufflers in. If you want max power and like the scream of a barely muffled exhaust, full SLP exhaust is the only way to go :nice: pricy though

Hard to beat the sound of a magnaflow. I'll bet the magnapacks are great too if you're looking for loud. If not loud, magnaflow is great. The only problem is you won't get much sound out of them when you are at idle or just cruising. You'll really only hear them when you step on it. They have an awesome sound though. I have a MAC system on my car now, but before that was two weld-in magnaflows. The MAC system is great too. It's the whole cat-back. I like having the whole 2.5 mandrel-bent pipes going all the way back. The sound is really deep with the MAC, and it's definitely louder than the Magnaflows. Like I said though, Magnapacks would probably be pretty loud too.

Red03Mustang said:
Hard to beat the sound of a magnaflow. I'll bet the magnapacks are great too if you're looking for loud. If not loud, magnaflow is great. The only problem is you won't get much sound out of them when you are at idle or just cruising. You'll really only hear them when you step on it. They have an awesome sound though. I have a MAC system on my car now, but before that was two weld-in magnaflows. The MAC system is great too. It's the whole cat-back. I like having the whole 2.5 mandrel-bent pipes going all the way back. The sound is really deep with the MAC, and it's definitely louder than the Magnaflows. Like I said though, Magnapacks would probably be pretty loud too.
Another vote for Magnaflow. I've heard everything except SLP in person on a 4.6 and personally, magnaflow catback with your personally perfered x/h pipe will give you an awesome sound. If I had to do it again, I would try an H-pipe, only heard 2 of these in person and enjoyed the deeper, less race car type sound. :flag:

Packs are pretty nice. Very deep and incredible sound/tone, positively roars once you get on the throttle. Once mine started to break in a tad it's noticeable at idle (very nice, but different from Flowmasters) even with the Prochamber. It's a very nice combination... flows well and sounds awesome. I have had Flowmasters with the PC as well and loved it. Flowmasters or MAC and O/R H is one of the meanest sounding exhausts you'll find. Pure American Muscle!

jbritt1234 said:
I love my magnaflow catback!

Are you replacing the mid-pipe? A x pipe is more Nascar'ish and a H is more muscle'ish.

I have a catted X with my magnaflow and it's awesome.

I wanted an off-road x pipe but isn't true that you won't pass inspection if you have one? Should I replace the stock h pipe for an aftermarket brand?
A yellow Gt passed me today(in Warwick,R.I. just in case it's someone here) I could hear this thing before I actually see it, it sounded badass. Thanks guys for your opinions and comments. :nice:

i get comproment every time I drive my car. See sig for setup

Magnaflow is hard to beat. They are affordable, and great quality, and stainless steel. best for the money you spend. Flowmaster sound nice, but they are chambered muffler, there for not great for exhaust flow.
Magnaflow makes your car sound nice. They even make my GF's Chevy sound nice, and we all know LT-1 sound like an ass :rolleyes:

JOSTANG75 said:
I wanted an off-road x pipe but isn't true that you won't pass inspection if you have one? Should I replace the stock h pipe for an aftermarket brand?

No, you won't pass inspections with a off-road pipe. I've heard that some places are even strict on aftermarket catted pipes.

I have an aftermarket x that has only only 2 cats, versus the 4 or 6 that are on them stock.

A aftermarket pipe IS better than the stock one. I would try to ask around there and see how strick they are with the visual test on emmissions. They test where you are?

slp....i got the loudmouth and love it looking to get headers and midpipe but it is true they are expensive i wish i could find a group buy for their stuff. if you live near englishtown NJ though SLP day is oct 9th anyone who goes gets 10% off products that day just thought id let anyone looking to pick up some slp stuff know

spintech prostreets sound great. i beat off now every time i crank the car. on second thought get some magnapacks i dont want your car to sound anywhere near as good as mine(damn overprice glasspacks get a set of cherrybombs for 70 bucks the red kind, not that silver **** welded in, should sound pretty damn good)

It all depends on what your long term goals are.

If you plan on going power adder (supercharger) later, then go with a good cattedX and catback. I would reccommend the BBK CattedX with Magnaflow catback. If you are going to stay N/A, then save your pennies for BBK longtube headers/Catted X/Magnaflow catback and do it all at once. If you just HAVE to replace something now due to the mod bug, then just replace the catback for now with a Magnaflow. If you like your ears to bleed and attract every cop in a 10 mile radius, then go with the Magnapack or the SLP.

Matt

I had a Basanni cat back and x pipe on my 01 GT, It was way to loud.

I put magnaflow catback with the factory H pipe, It sounds killer.

The Basanni quality is much more noticeable over the Magnaflow but that didn't matter. The Basanni doesn't sound half as good as the Magnaflow.

I am selling the Basanni. $650 for the whole thing. 3100 miles on it.