Best Fuel pump upgrade for 01 gt with around 450rwhp

Bad Saleen

Jul 3, 2004
Let me know the best choice i hear about kepping the stock pump and add a boost a pump or change the whole thing for a best pump, now i have a walbro 255 lph not really designed for my type of car with the returnless system, i have the stock one then i can just add a boost a pump from kenne bell

let me know your choice

• Sponsors (?)

...here is the tests as shown in Sept.'04 MM&FF:
Pumps:----(13V)40psi--60psi--80psi-(BAP 17V)40psi--60psi-80psi
5.0 & SN95------98----73----46--------------137----100--63
4.6 2V ('99+)----158---115---65--------------264----201--152
4.6 4V ('99-'02)--154---131--100-------------211----189---162
'03/'04 Cobra(x2)-167---145--119-------------236----215--189

Lightning---------149---127--95--------------204----181--158
Focus Zetec------147---103--54--------------230----190--160
SVT Focus-------217---185---143-------------302----278--244

This doesn't show the aviator pump, but other than that these are your options.

I'm currently running the SVT Focus pump with a 20 amp BAP on a KB 6psi.

I'm pretty sure that combo will handle the power you're after.

BUT...sitting in the shop right now is a cobra tank and duel pumps...and we're ditching the BAP cause it won't be needed at my hp level with the new set up.

The reason for my switch...you can't run below 1/4 tank because the stock GT tank isn't baffled around the fuel bucket...so everytime I see 1/2 tank I start looking for '94 octane...total PITA. :bang:

If I had to do it over again...I would've done the Cobra tank and pumps right from the start. :nice:

People always say the focus pump.The boost-a-pump is not a pump but an electronic device that keeps the pump's voltage high to keep the pump running at max output (well it's actually adjustable so not max but whatever you set it to)

Kilgore Trout said:
People always say the focus pump.The boost-a-pump is not a pump but an electronic device that keeps the pump's voltage high to keep the pump running at max output (well it's actually adjustable so not max but whatever you set it to)

Agree...but the stock GT pump is a dog. My stock pump couldn't keep up with the BAP when we got into boost...the car would buck. No problem with the focus pump though.

Bad Saleen said:
but as for the focus pump does it fit bolt on on we have to modify something also what is that thing, we cannot use no more then the half of the tank ??? or what

Pretty sure the Focus pump is a direct swap...no fabrication neccessaary.

The problem with the stock GT tank is that it is not baffled around the internal bucket. At 1/4 tank or less, the fuel can slosh around, and there's a chance that you could run dry for a second...not good if you're hitting boost.

The cobra tank is baffled around the internal bucket...so there's no worry about hitting boost when your tank is low.

cobra pumps in the stock tank , and keep it above a quarter tank , you can get the tank later when you save up more $$$ , thats what I am doing , had an aviator fail on me so I would advice going for the cobra pumps right away and get the tank when you can get the extra $$$ focus would be fine for 400 but 450 is gonna need the cobras