Best gear for 2001 GT w/Auto trans....4:10's ?

Quadgod

Jul 7, 2005
Guys.....I'm looking for some feedback from those of you who are running 3:90, 4:10 gears, etc. in your Automatic mustangs. I'd like to know what RPM'S you're turning at various speeds (i.e. 60, 70 mph). Also, 1/4 mile trap RPM's in 3rd gear would be very helpful. Any additional thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks !

• Sponsors (?)

There is a link to a website for an rpm/mph calculator using different gears and trannys. Search for calculator in the 4.6 talk forum. I saw it recently.

Can't help otherwise, as I have a 5-speed.

Use the search feature. The subject of gears has been beat to death on all the Mustang boards. There has been multiple threads for each gear and transmission combination you can think of in this section of the forums alone. If you read most threads, you'll realize that most people recommend 4.10 gears for n/a automatic equipped GT's. Some use 4.30's(like me), and some run 3.90's or 3.73's. It's all a matter of preference and goals.

TCH racing has a good gear calculator at their forums board in the tech section.
http://www.tchracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3508

Personally, I have 4.30 gears in my automatic, and I have to say they work out just fine. Fuel mileage didn't change all that much after the 4.30 gears, and the acceleration on the street is very nice around town, and the free way rpms aren't too bad. I think I usually idle around 2200-2800rpms on the interstate, between speeds of 65-75mph. This is with the stock 245/45/17 tire sizing on the rear.

Simple arithmetic huh ? Maybe for a teacher or someone well versed with the proper formulas (Fitzgerald). Apparently not all of us are geniuses ! I'm looking for positve feedback, not insults here. Anyway, I took a look at the TCH racing calculator. Neat little tool. Does anyone know if the Mustang auto 4R70W trans. is a "std 2.4" or "wide 2.84" ?

It looks like I'll be going with the 4:10's. They seem to be the best overall choice from what I've read & heard. I haven't heard anything solid enough to change my mind. Thanks again fellas !

Quadgod said:
Simple arithmetic huh ? Maybe for a teacher or someone well versed with the proper formulas (Fitzgerald). Apparently not all of us are geniuses ! I'm looking for positve feedback, not insults here. Anyway, I took a look at the TCH racing calculator. Neat little tool. Does anyone know if the Mustang auto 4R70W trans. is a "std 2.4" or "wide 2.84" ?

The W in 4R70W stand for wide band:nice:

I Posted up here a while ago the same question you did and I was sceptical about getting 4.10's so I went on online calculators and got some opinions and decided to get them but it is a little different on the roadthen the calculators. I run 2,500 rpms at 65 and at 70 its about 2,750 right between 2,5 and 3 75 is right under 3 grand You may be thinking jeez is my enginge going to overheat or is that bad. Well I can you that nothing has gone wrong here you just have to get used to the high rpms! And My gas mileage only goes down when the pedal goes down! I Love the 4.10's My only problem I have is keeping it out of the ditches! :Damnit: But In my own opinion They are the best gear for a mustang Especially Auto's Which lack a low first gear ratio(Higher Number)! hence 4.10 gears help that out by multiplying your engines torque more than the 3.27's! Sorry for all the technical crap but I know this is a tough decision! Also at the track I have street tires on and have no problem hooking up! but on the street it can be touchy from a stop! Also they are perfect for going through the 1/4 mile I still have at least 500rpms till 6 grand in 3rd. Hope you make the right choice and go with the 4.10's :Teh-Win: 4.10's:hail2: