Best Gear for Blown Cars

sonicblue87lx

Jul 1, 2005
Well I have a 4:10 with a 347 motor right now. Just added my blower.. Should I go down to 3:55 or 3:73 or should I keep it at 4:10

I have a Brand new Auburn Diff sittin around that ive had for like a year so when I replace the Gear im putting that in as well. Let me know what you guys think

• Sponsors (?)

im going to say that for an auto you want to go with 3.73's, With 3.73's i hit my rev limiter right at the end of the quarter. Which was perfect, 128 mph, which was about right for the horsepower i was making.

Now with my new setup im going with 3.25's.

BlackVert said:
i have 3.73s now, going to 3.27s now that i have the kb in.

centrifugal or turbo, i'd say go with 3.73s or 3.55s
I think your kind of crazy for going that low of gear. I have read many reports on how when racers switched to more gear they went faster mph and e.t.

Unless your wanting them for top speeds or maybe even street manor? I would suggest staying with what you have and spending that money somewhere else.

BTW thats the same gearing i used when i ran nitrous too... So low end torque/power isn't going make that much of a difference. 117 mph.

moneypit94 said:
I think your kind of crazy for going that low of gear. I have read many reports on how when racers switched to more gear they went faster mph and e.t.

Unless your wanting them for top speeds or maybe even street manor? I would suggest staying with what you have and spending that money somewhere else.

BTW thats the same gearing i used when i ran nitrous too... So low end torque/power isn't going make that much of a difference. 117 mph.
i've read the reports too and that's fine ... for them

this is my daily driver, so it's street manners and gas mileage all the way for me ... i don't go to the track.

plus, it'd be really nice to have a speedometer and odometer that are accurate.

the money part is just the install labor and the bearing kit, probably about $300. i already have the gears from my 1996 gt ... now there's a car that needs gears desperately!

i didn't even think about gas milage. Your speedo could be corrected with the 3.73's, you would just need both gears to do it.

I still think for sonicblue87lx should stick with 4.10's or down 3.73's at most especially with an auto.

sonicblue87lx said:
Well I have a 4:10 with a 347 motor right now. Just added my blower.. Should I go down to 3:55 or 3:73 or should I keep it at 4:10

I have a Brand new Auburn Diff sittin around that ive had for like a year so when I replace the Gear im putting that in as well. Let me know what you guys think
4.10's and 347 and blower = :jaw:

How's the setup now with a 347 and AODE (or is yours AOD)? IM debating whether or not to keep the blower If I get a 347,

As far as the gears...try it out first...it may be a bit to much, but check it out first and then decide...No doubt you'll need some good DR's
RC

Right now i can spin and keep spinning with no problem. When I have the car tuned ill have the 4:10 in and then when its nice out ill buy a gear if i want to go a different way. Which im pretty sure ill be doing. the 4:10 is nice but its a lil much for me