Best gears for an AOD

STP72

Nov 11, 2006
I have an 88LX with an AOD I was wondering what the best all around gearing would be for an auto. I bought some 3.73's but alot of people are telling me 410's
I am really sick of the stock 2.73's

• Sponsors (?)

Typically most saying 4.10's are those that do not hit the highway on a regular basis or have a weekend/street car.

From a daily driver perspective, 3.73's for the best all-around gear. 4.10+ for track.

Been there and drove every gear possible up to 4.56...

5spdGT will I notice a difference with the 3.73's compared to the stock 2.73's ?
The car is quick but, a turd off the line.

dude, you will notice a WORLD of difference. it will pull a lot harder and throw you into your seat even more. i have 4.10's in my car, a friend of mine has 3.73's in his coupe. both are great gears. 3.73's are, apparently, more highway friendly, but in an aod car, i say 4.10's. regardless, gears are definitely in the top 3 first upgrades i recommend.

Reactions: 1 user
5spdGT will I notice a difference with the 3.73's compared to the stock 2.73's ?
The car is quick but, a turd off the line.

Yeah....it's quite a big jump in gear ratio.

I would say 4.10s as well, especially with an AOD. The difference in RPMs at 65mph is like 300rpm...it's nothing extreme. If you like to cruise at 70-75 then 3.73s are probably better for you. If you prefer to take a hit on the highway to make your car faster at the track, then go with 4.10s. Personally i would go with 4.10s and take the hit on the highway since my car isn't a daily driver and i've driven some 3.73 automatics and they're still a bit sluggish until the RPMs come up.

You'll feel the difference:)

Keep in mind guys...stock heads, stock intake, stock cams - do you think 4.10:1 are optimum and the best all around gear?

i wouldn't say "best all around gear" by any means, but, ESPECIALLY since he has a stock motor, not to mention aod, i say 4.10's. but like i said, both 3.73's and 4.10's are great, it just depends on the application, imo. i have 4.10's with a 5 speed which sucks on the highway, but i don't do much highway driving. 3.73's are great all around gears for a 5 speed car, imo, my friend has them in his coupe and it pulls hard and doesn't spin too high of rpm's on the highway. but that's in a 5 speed car as well. he had the gears in his car before he converted it to a 5 speed, and i agree with 85_ss_302_coupe, it pulled pretty well but still felt like there could be more there.

i have a 1990 LX with a AOD i put 4.10's in like 85_SS_302_COUPE said 65 is the best speed for highway any faster you are up there in rpms 3.73's are really good to me i love the 4.10's they gave me 8 tenth's in the 1/4 and they do sit you back in your seat

Heck i'm running 4.10s in mine with a 5 speed and most times i'm running a pretty short tire in the back as well but still it's not that bad. I think a lot of people over react at the 4.10s....we're talking 1/4 more revolution than the 3.73s...it's not a big deal. What really cracks me up is people who get 3.90s thinking they've found a perfect middle ground....it's such a small difference that i don't see the point.

i had the 373's in my 87 aod notch an liked them. i did street 90% of the time. i think they lost a little of their effect when i changed to 16" wheels. so i'd say if u stay 15" wheels, go 373's if you think you might go 16" or larger go 4.10.

i wouldn't say "best all around gear" by any means, but, ESPECIALLY since he has a stock motor, not to mention aod, i say 4.10's. but like i said, both 3.73's and 4.10's are great, it just depends on the application, imo. i have 4.10's with a 5 speed which sucks on the highway, but i don't do much highway driving. 3.73's are great all around gears for a 5 speed car, imo, my friend has them in his coupe and it pulls hard and doesn't spin too high of rpm's on the highway. but that's in a 5 speed car as well. he had the gears in his car before he converted it to a 5 speed, and i agree with 85_ss_302_coupe, it pulled pretty well but still felt like there could be more there.

Well I think you misunderstood my point...the stock engine can not breathe very well in the upper rpms, why stick a gear in that loves it:)

No, there isn't much difference, but it adds up...

If we all added parts that 'weren't much different', our car would be totally different than what was first planned...

A Systemax isn't to big of a difference from my ported performer...

AFR 205's aren't to big of a difference from my AFR 165's...

1 7/8" headers are only 1/4" difference from 1 5/8"...

Get my point, I hope:nice:

Well I think you misunderstood my point...the stock engine can not breathe very well in the upper rpms, why stick a gear in that loves it:)

Because it's not like the 4.10s only work in the high RPMs....i have stock heads and cam but mine pulls to 5500rpm. If anything they'll benefit you down low more than they will up top. 4.10s will get you out of the hole faster (provided you hook up) and get you through your gears faster. On my car i'm in 4th at about 4k when i cross the line.

4.10's wouldn't allow my transmission to shift into 4th under WOT. It also shifted too fast from 2nd to 3rd gear. The car was a raped ape though when I did the old "AOD Shuffle"!!!

Dont even think twice about getting the 4.10s with an AOD that is the gear you need 100%. I have an AOD and have had both 3.73s and 4.10s. I can cruise at 75 mph and be at 2500 rpms on the freeway. It is a MUST for an AOD do not even waste your money on 3.73s

4.10's wouldn't allow my transmission to shift into 4th under WOT. It also shifted too fast from 2nd to 3rd gear. The car was a raped ape though when I did the old "AOD Shuffle"!!!

You definately don't want your AOD shifting in to OD at WOT anyway?

By the way Lidio tuned my car and I had my best ET at Milan and best MPH at Lapeer, what a coincidence :)

There is an extremely small performance difference between the two...

I hope your not planning on adding much power, because you will run out of gear shortly without running a taller tire and increaseing your powerband rpm...

Will larger gears put more strain on the AOD trans ? I imagine the trans will shift more often .

If by "larger" you mean 4.10s, absolutely not. They will actually help the trans by helping to get the weight moving easier than the stock (numerically lower) gears such as the dog (stock) 2.73s my 87 GT is saddled with. Mine is a 5 speed car and I'm going 3.55 or 3.73s, which make a huge seat of the pants difference. I had several 3.73 geared 5 speed cars in my 20s and they were so much fun to drive.

With the 73s 1st gear in a 5 speed is pretty low, so I'm thinking of going with a 55 this time, however this GT is a convertible (heavy) so it would benefit from the 73s. I don't do much highway driving with it at all, and I may keep the engine stock so I'm leaning towards the 73s.....I can still remember the pull of those 73s all these years later....still brings a smile to my face.