best gears to use for street/strip for c4

s2t8n9g

Jan 11, 2004
i am currently running 3.73's and i drive it everyday. the gears just seem like a little much for the three speed. but at the same time, i don't wanna lose the good performance at the track. I just got a set of 3.55's and i was wondering how much of a difference its going to make. thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

s2t8n9g said:
i am currently running 3.73's and i drive it everyday. the gears just seem like a little much for the three speed. but at the same time, i don't wanna lose the good performance at the track. I just got a set of 3.55's and i was wondering how much of a difference its going to make. thanks in advance.

The 3.55's will definitely be more highway friendly. I get 22 MPH with 3.55's, but I do have a 5-spd. After I run at the track I always wish I had gone with the 3.73's. I always feel I have power left over at the end of the run. I usually go through the traps at around 5000 R's. It all depends on your driving habits. Whats more importent to you? Quarter mile times or MPG. Someone with an automatic would be better off telling you if you'll notice a difference, but I think you will.

Swarzkopf said:
If you drive it everyday, you'll probably want those 3.55s in it, especially if you drive at speed on the highway frequently.

C4s ROCK at the strip, but you will miss OD (or 5th) on the street.
Actually OD is a fourth gear the C4 is just a 3 speed. But I agree the 3:55 would probably be best on the highway although I doubt there would be a huge RPM difference between the two gears the 3:55's will net atleast somewhat better mileage.

i was actually thinking about putting an aod in there but i know that would be a huge step down as far as performance goes. but are the aod's worth using with a shift kit, higher stall converter, and gears?

Actually OD is a fourth gear the C4 is just a 3 speed. But I agree the 3:55 would probably be best on the highway although I doubt there would be a huge RPM difference between the two gears the 3:55's will net atleast somewhat better mileage.

Uh...yeah, I know what a C4 is. I said he would miss OD running a C4 with 3.73s on the highway.

One of my notchs has:

3.73's, AOD w/shift kit & +400 stall.

A lot depends on your engine build ... what rpms is it built for.

I have a mild street build ...
With my taller Automatic gearing (compared to my T5 car) I'd prefer the acceleration of 4.10s playing the stoplight-to-stoplight game.
However, on the highway with 3.73's it consumes more fuel than desired and it isn't a long-drive to the beach car although it's nice enough to look like one :( ... for this I would prefer 3.55's or maybe 3.27's.

All in all, I think the perfect gear is a 3.55 for a daily driver/cruiser set-up ... if all you do is run at the track, then by all means go with 4.10's or 4.56's

The difference between 3.73's and 3.55's is about 200rpms at cruising speeds.

When I drive my AOD car (stock tire height) it always feels between gears when cruising with the 3.73's ... not fast enough for OD, but a little too fast for D:
60-65 on the highway is about 2100-2200 rpms ...

Although I do like to cremepuff my Stangs as much as possible ..that way they're good and reliable for the open roads :p

s2t8n9g said:
i was actually thinking about putting an aod in there but i know that would be a huge step down as far as performance goes. but are the aod's worth using with a shift kit, higher stall converter, and gears?
if you ever rode in a fully built aod with a stall you would mess yourself due to being suprised! any tranny can be made to go!