Best Heads for stock 302

• Sponsors (?)

If your engine doesn't burn oil and runs fine now....no reason not to change the heads.
it doesn’t it is very tired and sluggish so i’m thinking throw new heads on it and put piston rings on it
Go back to you build thread Keegan Martin, and put some pictures on what you have done. Glad you still have your car.
just did

Attachments

• 0BFD4BBA-7675-4118-93D0-B62213D16398.jpeg
    0BFD4BBA-7675-4118-93D0-B62213D16398.jpeg
    1,020.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 7DCB2BAA-80C2-45A2-9228-2DBE8F459798.jpeg
    7DCB2BAA-80C2-45A2-9228-2DBE8F459798.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 66530893-8A7A-4EF9-8439-1CCB025E6B55.jpeg
    66530893-8A7A-4EF9-8439-1CCB025E6B55.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: 1 user
For me the problem with changing heads is all the extra stuff you have to buy. Almost cost as much as the heads. Especially if you need taller valve covers. New rocker arms get pricey depending on what kind you choose. The cheap ones have bad reviews.

GT-40 or GT-40P heads, a better intake (w/65 MM throttle body), with a stock cam/1.72 roller rockers will make a huge difference over the stock setup and allow use of stock valve covers. This setup will get you close to 300 flywheel horsepower vs. 225. If you want more you'll need to upgrade your shortblock and everything else to handle the increased horsepower. How much too you want to spend?

GT-40 or GT-40P heads, a better intake (w/65 MM throttle body), with a stock cam/1.72 roller rockers will make a huge difference over the stock setup and allow use of stock valve covers. This setup will get you close to 300 flywheel horsepower vs. 225. If you want more you'll need to upgrade your shortblock and everything else to handle the increased horsepower. How much too you want to spend?
i have about 3k to spend on this so

i have about 3k to spend on this so
I'd save up a little more for a Trick Flow top end kit. Doing the GT40 heads will net you an extra 30hp. The Trick Flow top end kit will net you an extra 100hp. They advertise them for under $3k, but we all know in reality the odds and ends are going to put you over that. Might not hurt to do a compression test on your old 302 engine to see if it's not getting sluggish due to some bottom end fatigue.

Kurt

I'd save up a little more for a Trick Flow top end kit. Doing the GT40 heads will net you an extra 30hp. The Trick Flow top end kit will net you an extra 100hp. They advertise them for under $3k, but we all know in reality the odds and ends are going to put you over that. Might not hurt to do a compression test on your old 302 engine to see if it's not getting sluggish due to some bottom end fatigue.

Kurt
see i watched some videos on the trickflow heads and apparently they rev was to high when making peak power and i could do gt40 heads, intake and a cam and put those numbers and for the compression test yeah i really need to before i start buying parts

but I dont think these are the ..Best heads for a Stock 302... some kind of overkill ... Stock 302 no go ... this Heads need Cam, Compression, good flowing Intake, lager TB , LT Headers and all the good Stuff to work properly .... just take the original cam and intake .. no flow no go ... :coff:

see i watched some videos on the trickflow heads and apparently they rev was to high when making peak power and i could do gt40 heads, intake and a cam and put those numbers and for the compression test yeah i really need to before i start buying parts
BS. I guarantee the Trick Flow heads are going to make more torque and hp then GT40s throughout the entire power band.

Kurt

• Agree
so finally I have installed the Promaxx on my 331 and Thursday was the 1. start ..Terminator X is doing right the Job ..after 20 -30 seconds engine was running nice and some minutes and warming up ..even better ... used Headbolts from speedmaster, Felpro Gaskets, ARP 7/16 Rocker studs and the Compcam Magnum Roller rockers.. needed some longer Pushrods..also from CompCams ..from 6.250 to 6.300 to correct the Rocker Geometry ...havent been on the street to test.. too much rain here ... but as soon as possible I ll go for a ride ... wondering if bigger Valves make a difference ... was running Ported Floteks 180cc/58cc with the smaller valves 1.94/1.55 and PM has 2.02/1.60 also 180cc runner but 60cc chamber ..so engie has a little less compression....out of the Box the Promaxx have way better Flow then the Floteks .. but I ported mine In and Exhaust side ..so I think Flow is pretty similar ??! so its just the bigger Valves but less compression ...I ll see what happens ..I have tons of 1/4 mile times with the Floteks ...

so finally I have installed the Promaxx on my 331 and Thursday was the 1. start ..Terminator X is doing right the Job ..after 20 -30 seconds engine was running nice and some minutes and warming up ..even better ... used Headbolts from speedmaster, Felpro Gaskets, ARP 7/16 Rocker studs and the Compcam Magnum Roller rockers.. needed some longer Pushrods..also from CompCams ..from 6.250 to 6.300 to correct the Rocker Geometry ...havent been on the street to test.. too much rain here ... but as soon as possible I ll go for a ride ... wondering if bigger Valves make a difference ... was running Ported Floteks 180cc/58cc with the smaller valves 1.94/1.55 and PM has 2.02/1.60 also 180cc runner but 60cc chamber ..so engie has a little less compression....out of the Box the Promaxx have way better Flow then the Floteks .. but I ported mine In and Exhaust side ..so I think Flow is pretty similar ??! so its just the bigger Valves but less compression ...I ll see what happens ..I have tons of 1/4 mile times with the Floteks ...
No street test because of rain? I’d hassle you about being chicken, but unless you like drifting, your first few runs are better off on dry pavement.

• Agree
No street test because of rain? I’d hassle you about being chicken, but unless you like drifting, your first few runs are better off on dry pavement.
hahaha.. drag Radials .. dont like rain ... but today its sunny and warm ...
hahaha ..Drag Radials dont like Rain ..... very bad weather this year here in Costa Rica ..too much rain ..Track is still closed because of Covid and other restrictions we have ... ..

Reactions: 1 users