Best Intake for my Combo?

I got in touch with @tmoss via email. Going to be sending him my lower intake manifold. Got some good feedback in the process about my setup and it looks like I am good to go and just need to get my lower ported. I appreciate the back and forth here guys. @TOOLOW91 made a good a point about comparing Dyno's. I can do same dyno, similar conditions, but not same day. If I decide to run it back over the Dyno again, despite these limitations, I will post the data right here for the boys.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

It’s my opinion on this post. Big Dog porting’s coverage and supporters seem boastful, and the results unrealistic. I have not talked directly with him to know if it is the case directly.
Tmoss has been about testing what the mods actually do and helping us, even/especially if we DIY.
So it was never a question of who I wanted to send my lower manifold to.

It’s my opinion on this post. Big Dog porting’s coverage and supporters seem boastful, and the results unrealistic. I have not talked directly with him to know if it is the case directly.
Tmoss has been about testing what the mods actually do and helping us, even/especially if we DIY.
I’ve been reading about @tmoss since 2017. Having him do my intake is like having it done by some secret guru. It’s an honor and the manifold will be cherished and irreplaceable. Lol I don’t do decals, but if I had a tmoss one, I would run it.

True. Your going to have a T Moss ported Cobra intake. I'll take that any day over a Holley or whatever. The Cobra intake looks much better than any, except a Cobra Tubular.
It’s all about what works for what the combo is built around . The tubular cobra is the definition of 90s cool . Not throwing my Tmoss ported Holley out for it though .

Holley was designed like the Vortech / Saleen intake but better .

This is my concern . I had some down time the other day I know they have a fued back and fourth and I was looking at biig dogs page . His work looks nice - I seen him bash t moss over an intake that may have been over ported and epoxy which is normal in race world . Another one that was welded supposedly.

His flow numbers just strike me as like they have no restriction or something . You mean to tell me in 30 plus years of these cars defining performance no one ever got this stuff to flow what big dogs does - or is it that the number is based off of some weird way of flowing it ? I don’t know .

Tom told me mine would flow slightly different if I had sent him the upper and he bolted it on . Either way I’m happy .

When I had mine ported there was only tmoss.

I’ve watched them go at each other for the last 5+ years or so and really surprised nobody has done a dyno test comparison just to see what the differences are.

I have my hunch on what we would see, and neither one would arguably be the best. It’s all about the combo and what your intentions are with the vehicle.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I am more than willing to take a horsepower hit to look this cool...:cool:

42154.jpeg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
Zack needs to put some pictures of his car up. That nice Cervini hood, and paint job will certainly give him some real bragging rights with a T Moss ported Cobra intake.. Most Mustang affectionados know the name, and he may get some attention at car shows. By the looks of your avatar your car is a real head turner. and a sweet example of a nice SN95. if you have the money you could powder coat it up like Mike 5L5 has done with his.

Zach,
1. Degrease it, 2. carb cleaner it, 3. lacquer thinner until the bounty paper comes off clean, then use the VHT paint of your choice.
Or, take it to the powder coater

Have you asked tmoss if extrude honing the upper intake gains anything in combination with his ported lower? That seems like the only option for cast factory intakes without cutting them open. The flow numbers I've been able to find were from an extrude hone ad / video on Youtube, so I'm taking them with a grain of salt (they looked pretty good). However, if it does smooth the runners and increase the diameter a bit, it shouldn't hurt on a built motor.

Have you asked tmoss if extrude honing the upper intake gains anything in combination with his ported lower? That seems like the only option for cast factory intakes without cutting them open. The flow numbers I've been able to find were from an extrude hone ad / video on Youtube, so I'm taking them with a grain of salt (they looked pretty good). However, if it does smooth the runners and increase the diameter a bit, it shouldn't hurt on a built motor.
I asked, and I’m sure he gave an answer I forgot. :doh:
On the Exploder intake I have, I ported the throat to match a bigger TB and EGR plate, and opened it up to be a straighter shot as far back as I could reach with my basic air grinder and standard length bit. I used a caliper to estimate when to stop to avoid poking holes in the former bulges for the bolts.

Did it help? I do not know. The same procedure made a huge seat of the pants difference, as in rip the tires loose in second gear with a tap of the throttle, with the stock style intake that the lower was already ported a lot by the PO’s race team.

So how in the world do I make my intake look like that? Mine is like dirty tan with greasy finger prints all over it. lol I want mine to look exactly like that!! IMO that's cooler than the tubular one.

Stripped the original paint off, and sent it to a guy to blast and powdercoat it. Cost me $100 for that, plus the new Cobra intake plate. I have the code for the color saves as well

Lower was Tmoss ported. I don't have dyno numbers on my combo (TFS170's, FTI cam) yet.