best intake manifold for 2v 4.6L

20001 mustang

Dec 6, 2009
im looking to buy a new intake manifold for my 2001 gt, anyone have any recommendations or know any i should steer away from?

O ya price aint an issue for my pony, she gets whatever she wants:D

• Sponsors (?)

supercharge it!

Without stated goals, isn't this one of those threads about how many Angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Here's my take. The best intake manifold is the one that came with the car. Its cheap. It works. It doesn't heat soak like a metal one does. There are tons of them in service.

For increased performance where $$ is not as much of an issue, the best intake manifold is the one that comes with KB supercharger inside.

:D

Without stated goals, isn't this one of those threads about how many angles can dance on the head of a pin?

Here's my take. The best intake manifold is the one that came with the car. Its cheap. It works. It doesn't heat soak like a metal one does. There are tons of them in service.

For increased performance where $$ is not an issue, the best intake manifold is the one under the KB supercharger.

:D

I agree :D

:hail2:Boost

im still stock for the most part, predator tuner bbk cold air intake/ subframe connectors and axle back magnaflows. im shootin for the 400-450 range with my man kenny bell. pretty new to working on cars, want to learn but i dont know where to start and i dont want to buy the same thing more than once and ive been told the stock manifold is weak so i thought id start there. if you dont think i should get the manifold next, give me a suggestion on what to get. what should i upgrade to be ready for a KB and where do i get the most bang for my buck?

Back to "what are your goals?". If 400 HP is your goal, that can be done with the stock engine/fuel system but adding an inter-cooled KB super charger.

The playing field changes a lot if your HP goals are 500, 600, 700, 800.....

SOOOOO. What are your goals? How much $$ do you have to spend? What kind of car do you want to end up with (race/street)? How much work to you want to do yourself?

im still young so and inexperienced with high horsepower so i don't want a sudden jump that ill kill myself with, i would like to go into the low end of the 400-500 range for now. but knowing myself i will want more in the future so i want to buy the best possible parts right away even if it means they are over the top for what i have at the moment. i got a full time apprenticeship and am making pretty decent cash, still living at home and with no old lady i got plenty to spare for my true love, but its not gonna be immediate. my goal is to be entering the 400 range in mid summer. i got a bit more than a grand to play with at the moment so im wondering what i should upgrade now or should i just save for a couple months for the kb. and speaking of fuel upgrade systems where would be a good place to purchase one, i live in Vancouver Canada.
I would like to do as much work myself as possible but i dont know a whole lot and know its worth the money for an install for some parts. How much would you estimate it to cost for the kb install and tune?
my car would also be primarily for street use with some strip on the odd weekends, depending on how hooked i get to it

thanks again this has been a helpful thread

a 400-500 HP KB car will be a LOT for an inexperienced driver. you're talking about doubling what you have now and making that power all across the RPM range.
i would suggest a centri blower as it will be easier to predict how the car will respond and it will make good power, but come on gradually rather than all at once.

remember our cars will only last so long on a stock bottom end and anything over 440 with out a DEAD ON tune is putting it at risk

IMO you should get a mongoose kit from MPH. it comes with EVERYTHING including a proven safe tune and is cheaper than a KB kit

your right thats alot for me to handle, i dont want to kill myself in this thing. but i know myself i will slowly push it more and soon enough i will be confident to up the power again, and i know i will want to. so like wmburns suggested going without the intercooled setup then adding that later is that a good option or will i still be able to up the power as much later if i wanted to with the mongoose kit?

mine started as a mongoose kit making 375/385 with a novi 2000. add a pulley, new fuel system, and a built engine a few years later and now i'm making 751/634

just make sure you get a blower that is capable of your goals. mine still has a couple pulley sizes to go before it is topped out

thanks for the help still not sure exactly witch supercharger ill go with but im thinking maybe starting with kenne bell not intercooled at 6 psi and working my way up but this has helped me out alot.
by the way would anyone know where i could buy a new trunk lid for my 01 i want one without the spoiler holes so maybe one off a v6, but no wreckers near me have any.