best lube for clutch cable

txgunrunner

Apr 29, 2005
houston, tx
i know some people say not to lube the clutch cable but my new cable w/ adjustable quadrant is sticky as hell. i tried to run it under the k member but it was too short so i had to run it above it so now i'm going to lube the hell out of it and hope it solves the problem. what should i lube it with? thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

If I did lube the cable, I would use something with liquid graphite in it. They have some that is advertised for locks, but also works good for cables, after the initial lube is gone the Graphite is left behind for permanent lubrication! Just my $.02

the cable is not kinked, it has a good size bend in it. the weird thing is that the pedal will feel good at times but then go back to sticking excessively and you can hear the cable creaking. i'll try the graphite lube, do the major auto stores carry it.

i was just thinking that the longer i drive the car the worse it gets. could the heat from headers cause the cable sleeve to swell and put the cable in a bind. i've got the cable as far away from the headers as possible.

I have used plain old bearing grease. Took the cable out and lubed each end with sliding the cable back and forth to get the grease down into the cable. It was MUCH easier after that and still runs good after 5 years. :nice:

Also the best kind of cable is a STOCK NON ADJUSTABLE cable like this one for $39.
image.php

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=374

Yep go with the link above (I got that clutch cable as well)...it softened my pedal right up...

I have heard of people using White Lithium Spray Grease...which is kind of foamy. I have a brand new can of it...I was going to lube the cable...but the cable was new and I decided not to lube it. If you lube it you could get some dirt particles in their and eventually cause premature stiffen pedal effort or clutch cable failure.

My adjustable clutch cable I had was all bound up like yours...it got gummed up in there and the new cable was SO much better...

Route it as smoothly as possible...

Are you sure it is not the bearing retainer that is creating the 'stickyness' you experience?

good luck.

his routing is way, way, way wrong. Don't even bother lubing it, that's a temporary fix, if you're even lucky to what sounds like a complete bull**** cable.

very curious, where did you get this cable? it's got to go under the k member, no ifs ands or buts. Get a real cable, and reroute it properly

yes, the Graphite lube is available at any parts store. The good thing about it is that its a runny liquid, so geting along the length of the cable isn't a prob. But if the others mention a problem with the routing, take car of that first. If you think its far away from the headers, try touching the cable after a long drive?