Electrical Best meter ends for checking out engine electrical?

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
With all the electical testing I see we need to do, I have an important question set about multi meters.

1. What are the best meter ends for checking out the pins on the computer and harness? I do not want to bump the next pin! But when the other end of the harness is under the hood or car, something must have a gator clip of some type.

2. What is the best way to back probe the TPS etc? Sometines a safety pin works, but I'd hate to have two of them touch! So what is the best tool/probe end for this type of testing?

• Sponsors (?)

the fluke meters we have at work have these stick pin ones that you push into a wire and it hold itself to the wire like a clip on ear ring

I agree. Try Ebay.

I have a few, but i got them through work when i used to be an Electrician. If you have the $$ to shop around, look for a multimeter that will also read DC amps up to 10A or more. Great tool for troubleshooting power drains. Most meters can onlt do DC Amps up to a smaller amount, like 1A or so.

A good "cheap" meter is an Extech 285. I see these go on Ebay for around $25 and they are plenty capable. I have one sitting next to me at work right now actually. Works fine for car stuff of small electronics.

EDIT: Just searched and found a completed auction for $20 that didn't sell. None listed now, but by past history they go cheap.

i'll have to do that here soon... gotta buy a new damn jack first though. my 15 year old 3.5 ton jack blew a seal out of one of the pistons sunday pulling my rear out.

A good fluke is a worthwhile investment, great meters, but on that note, harbor freight cells a centech automotive meter that has alot of useful features, and its like 25 bucks. I got one just to try it out, and for over a year now ive used it and never had a problem. I leave my fluke in the toolbox unless i get a funky reading, then i test with both and so far the centech is always accurate.

As far as leads go, I use a set of kimball midwest banana clip leads and pins that I obtained through my employer years ago.