best placement for o2 sensors?

foghorn67

I'll save you the time and choke myself
Founding Member
Jan 10, 2002
Orange County, CA
I just picked up a couple of oxygen sensors for my stang. one for each cylinder bank. It will be hooked up to an autometer air/fuel ratio gauge, and wired with a switch to select between the two.
Where is the best place for the shop to weld in the sockets. immediatly after the primary joins together? near the header collector/pipe (end of the header)?
or does it matter?
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Oh my, I read an article on this in one of the magazines. I think I remember it saying to install the sensor in the collector(geez, getting old sucks). I gave my friend a copy of it as he was adding the sensor to his supercharged Porsche. On a side note, my GF's Honda has two sensors, one in the front and one in the back, why, I don't know.

Copy cat! Next you're gonna tell me it's a Phantom gauge! ;)

You want to put them as close to (or into) the collector as possible. I didn't want to put them in the collector, so I mounted them in the pipe connecting to the headers, real close to the collector. Placement is especially important if you are using a 1 wire O2 sensor. The 1 wires use exhaust temp to heat the element. If the O2 doesn't get enough heat it will not read correctly. The 3 wire O2 sensors are less critical because they use a 12v source to heat them.
I ran the sender wire from each sensor to an on-off-on toggle switch so I could switch from bank to bank, or turn the dancing lights off all together.

2nd Mustang said:
On a side note, my GF's Honda has two sensors, one in the front and one in the back, why, I don't know.

before the cat, and after the cat.

dont know about all honda's. but the obd2 civics had the cat cast into the exhaust manifold.