Best QUALITY throttle body?

Which TB is the best quality in terms of PEDAL feel?

• Ford Racing

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • BBK

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Professional Products

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Other (please post which one this was and why)

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

Pokageek

Jun 10, 2005
MA, USA
So far my FRPP 65mm has been the best quality, in terms of throttle feel an low speed modulation. My new TB is 75mm and feels like it pulls harder which is nice but the throttle feel i not quite there. More like an on or off switch rather than a gradual increase as I push the pedal. Well, not that bad but still doesn't have the feel that my FRPP does. Please tell me about yuor experience. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Accufab is generally known to be the best.

Professsional Products is a bad cast from Edelbrock, you'll have to drill out one of the bolt holes to get it to fit. Thats why its so cheap. Plus they tend to stick WOT much more than other throttle bodies.

zenboy99 said:
Accufab is generally known to be the best.

Professsional Products is a bad cast from Edelbrock, you'll have to drill out one of the bolt holes to get it to fit. Thats why its so cheap. Plus they tend to stick WOT much more than other throttle bodies.
OK.....at least I'm not the only one to have to drill out the holes on a part right out of the box.......and idle screw falling out........hasn't been sticking but over the winter I'm going to replace it just because.........NO PP again...

Accufab is the best in the common aftermarket.

Yeah, what you experienced with the 75mm TB is common...I haven't understood why people get them still. They flow literally 2x more than a 302 can breathe in even at 100% volumetric effiecieny. They breathe close to 1.5 times the amount that a 347 can take in as well. So why do people get the 75mm TB? Simple, internet hear-say. Bigger is better...right? LOL.

FRPP is the best one readily available.

I have a 65mm Accufab designed for a '94-95. Got it in a lucky stroke on internet classifieds... Yes it's real, I called accufab.

Had a 70mm BBK. Hated that whistling POS.

I hear Edelbrock has a new supplier for '94-95 TB's and they're supposed to be OEM quality...

5spd GT said:

Yeah, what you experienced with the 75mm TB is common...I haven't understood why people get them still. They flow literally 2x more than a 302 can breathe in even at 100% volumetric effiecieny. They breathe close to 1.5 times the amount that a 347 can take in as well. So why do people get the 75mm TB? Simple, internet hear-say. Bigger is better...right? LOL.

I am putting down just about 300rwhp or a little more n/a to be retested this month. With the 125 shot of nitrous I am getting hooked up, I thought it would help quite a bit on air flow plus the elbow is 75mm.

Acufab does not make anything for 94/95...unbelievable..

Pokageek said:
I am putting down just about 300rwhp or a little more n/a to be retested this month. With the 125 shot of nitrous I am getting hooked up, I thought it would help quite a bit on air flow plus the elbow is 75mm.

Acufab does not make anything for 94/95...unbelievable..
Here's why
Accufab said:
A little side note. The upper intakes on the 94-95 Mustangs have the EGR "built-in" to the inlet, right behind the TB flange. We (Accufab) built several different sized TB's to sell to these customers, only to find during the dyno tests that they didn't make any more HP than the stock TB. The reason? We couldn't get any additional air past the EGR area. At least on the 87-93 Mustangs, we could replace the EGR spacer with one that had the same size opening (the hole) as the TB. Can't do that with the 94-95 intakes. The result was that we refused to sell any TB's for the 94-95 year Mustangs. If we can't make more HP, we won't sell the damn things, just our policy. Why take their $250 if it isn't going to improve the HP? That's just going to piss off the market place. Our competitors DO sell a bigger TB for the 94-95 Mustangs. It won't make anymore HP than the stock one but they take the customer's money anyway. We won't. Now, if a guy wants to buy a 90MM TB for his Mitsubishi, we will sell it to him (and you would not believe how many guys buy them). Monkey see, monkey do. When these guys call up to complain that the car is slower than before (and they all do), I tell them to PLEASE get on the message boards and tell all your buddies that the 90MM TB's are way to big for that little engine, but they never do. Oh well.
Link to thread and do yourself a favor and read what being said by arguably the best TB company out there.......
http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26335&highlight=Cobra+intake
5spd GT said:

Exactly it's amazing how many think they need 800+cfm on a 302 lol...

Pokageek - With the nitrous injection...I'm sure the 75mm TB isn't hurting you to bad. I see way to many cars with 75+mm TB's in the hopes that it will let more air in. Nope, the engine can only take in so much.

Ford, Accufab and Edelbrock's are all good TB's in my opinion.

wytstang - I'm with ya man, the Accufab 75mm TB is pushing close to 1000 (95x?) cfm...crazy stuff.

I really had thought about getting a 75mm TB because of the 'cool craze' it is going thru...but decided I didn't want to spend money on something that wouldn't help me, and give me the throttle response I do not want.

It cracks me up when people say they had a "small" TB and they got a bigger one and it doesn't do squat, except look good on paper.

wytstang said:
Here's why

Link to thread and do yourself a favor and read what being said by arguably the best TB company out there.......
http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26335&highlight=Cobra+intake

Exactly it's amazing how many think they need 800+cfm on a 302 lol...

My problem with this is that the aftermarket makes an elbow that has the larger opening now. So isnt that a non-issue now? Most of the new elbows are what 70mm and isnt there one or two that are 75mm? Now on the stock intake I see that point...but on an aftermarket or more performance intake I just dont buy that reason.

When I called Accufab to verify that the one I bought was really an Accufab (I was thinkin' it was a PP with an Accufab blade) they verified that it is the real thing. They produced them for a short period of time so there are a couple hundred out there. However the testing they did never included a Cobra intake with 70mm openings, and did not take into account the newer elbows available now with larger openings. The testing was all done back in the 90s when nothing was really out yet. 65-70mm TB's are common and do add some HP to these motors, I think it's a poor excuse to not make stuff for a niche market that isn't as profitable as the rest of their stuff.