Best RPM to shift at?

sixstringthing

Aug 11, 2003
Just when driving around town, what's the best RPM to shift at for a good mix of some power but also good fuel economy? I usually shift around 1,800 RPM... but could I be shifting a bit higher and still getting good mileage? Ive never even gone above 3500 RPM b/c I feel like id hurt the car or something but I know most of the power is available at higher RPMs. Do you loose gas mileage by shifting too low?

• Sponsors (?)

sixstringthing said:
Just when driving around town, what's the best RPM to shift at for a good mix of some power but also good fuel economy? I usually shift around 1,800 RPM... but could I be shifting a bit higher and still getting good mileage? Ive never even gone above 3500 RPM b/c I feel like id hurt the car or something but I know most of the power is available at higher RPMs. Do you loose gas mileage by shifting too low?

I think I read that for best gas mileage shift at 2k (on cobras anyhow). No idea if that is true or not.

I don't know if it helps or not, but I skip gears as well. I might run THIRD to a tad over 2k and skip fourth entirely (or some other gear).

Not sure about the GT but on the cobra engine (2001) you don't get into the fun range until north of 3k :)

I have tried everything in attempt to getting better mileage and it has all failed :bang: LOL no really, i usually shift at like 2500rpm and i was getting about 200 - 210 per tank. Then i tried shifting like around 1900 - 2000 rpms and got the same. Then i tried shifting at like 3000 rpm in first and then 2200 for the rest and i still get the same. I like to hold first a little to hear my exhaust off of the cars around me :nice: I used to think that gas mileage was a big deal but after driving my 92 camaro for a week and only getting about 125 miles to a tank i figured that the mustang was amazing

our engines can handle shifts up to 6000. thats why there is a rev limiter. i wouldnt suggest pegging it off the revlimiter tho. shift at about 5600 if you want to, there wont be any damage at all. gas milage will drop. but there will be no damage. to get better gas milage i do not rev it above 2000, skip 4th totally. or go from 2nd to 4th.
i get about 240 to a tank i believe (i dont remember exactly). i havent checked in a while.
Mike

I usually cruise around 2000 rpms. It feels like that's the best combination of power and fuel economy for me. Im not sure exactly what I get per tank, but I'll say this. My last car was an explorer, with a 21 gallon tank. I fill up my mustang just as often as I used to fill up my explorer, and I spend about 10 bucks less each time compared to when I had the explorer, so Im happy.

Mine is a daily driver with 3.73s. I usuall shift each gear at 3000-3500rpm. Sometimes Ill take it up to 4000, depends on how pissed I am in traffic :D. With this kind of driving around the city and with the hw driving I do to work and back, I usually get anywhere from 280-320 miles per tank. Dont baby the freaking car because your scared to buy gas, jeez!!! Its a Mustang for crying out loud. LET THAT SUCKER RUN!!!!!

:cheers:

I've always trying to keep the car running at 1.5K RPM all the time.. (with 4.10 it's been mostly 2k rpm) is that good or bad?

Before 4.10 gears, I shift around 2k-2.5k rpm.. after 4.10 it's mostly 2.5k-3k..

I'm not concern about gas milege much.. I bought a stang to enjoy it.. and I shall have that joy.. :)

Yeah I usally shift at about 2700-3300 in casual driving......atleast twice a day I will run it through 1st 2nd and 3rd shifting at 5800rpm .......then ill race a few people......If youve never ran it beyond 3k I say your missin out...

Dave

If your concerned about gas buy the v6, or better yet, get a friggin Hyundai. That way you'll have to shut off the A/C to have enough power to get on the highway or go up a hill. My stang craves more air and gas, so I give it to her, I'm still better off than those SUV's.
reall though I get a little over 200 miles a tank, all city driving and having fun. Downshifting saves your brakes, but goes throught the gas too. keep that in mind.

Your fine if your just cruisin around at 1500-2000rpm. On the hw in 5th Im at usually 2000-2300rpm. How your barely at 2000 with 4.10's I dont know :shrug: . As for shifting though, I gotta tach her up some :D. It aint no fun unless you tear into it :nice:

StangLou said:
Your fine if your just cruisin around at 1500-2000rpm. On the hw in 5th Im at usually 2000-2300rpm. How your barely at 2000 with 4.10's I dont know :shrug: . As for shifting though, I gotta tach her up some :D. It aint no fun unless you tear into it :nice:

I meant in town.. with stock gears.. I try to keep it 1.5k as much as possible..

with 4.10 gears.. it's hard to keep it 1.5k.. so 2k works for me..

as on the hwy, I cruise around 2.5k-3k at 65-80 mph range

I shift at 5000-5800 with my pedal to the floor more than half the time. If not, then its no less than a good stomp and shift at 3500-4000rpms and I get 200miles per tank.