Best steps in avoiding hydroplanning...

SteedaGTJ22 said:
While true... trust me it helps in ****ty road conditions. I didn't mean JUST hydroplaning. Traction control is a life saver, especially in the snow

T/C never helped me when I hydroplaned. It happened so quick that even if the T/C did cut the engine speed it probably caused more of the hydroplane. Don't get me wrong, I still turn it on so I don't get over zealous when in 1st gear or something but it doesn't really do a whole lot for me with hydroplaning.

• Sponsors (?)

Get a good set of tires and slow down :shrug:

I haven't had that problem in any amount of rain with my GS-D3's out back and KDW2's up front. Both are awesome for wet traction, don't even act like they're going to give

When the tire cannot displace the water fast enough to keep in contact with the road surface is hydroplaning.

Three factors here:
1. Amount of water under the tire
2. Tire tread depth and pattern
3. Speed of tire rotation

As A rule I will keep my tires on the high side of the lane meaning Ill put the drivers side tires in the middle of my lane or as close as I can.
Second I've found that if I hit a pocket of water and felt it deflect the car Ill slow down 10mph.

With brand new tires I've never had an issue, its when they are worn down past the 50% mark that you need to worry. When in doubt slow down.

PULMEOVR said:
Stock tires are HORRIBLE for hydroplanning. HORRIBLE! I am lowered, with CC plates, and an alignment and the front of my car still hydroplanes at 40+mph. I have stock tires still, but they are far above the wear bars.

Don't believe me about the stock tires? Check out the customer feedback from tirerack.com:

Voted WORST hydroplane resistance against 47 similiar tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP

Matt

I'm kinda surprised that in this day and age there were tires that were LOWER on the list than the G/Y Eagle Crapperbacks. :nonono:

As far as the topic, I'd have to say that you're question has been answered...tires, tire pressure, don't improperly screw around with your suspension and SPEED. I like to drive fast...everywhere. However, when it's raining I tend to back off. Look at it like going across a wet floor...naturally most people slow down which gives them better traction as well as a better ability to react if they do slip. If you go running it's just a matter of time before you slip...

SteedaGTJ22 said:
While true... trust me it helps in ****ty road conditions. I didn't mean JUST hydroplaning. Traction control is a life saver, especially in the snow

Mine never did anything in snow. I was just as stuck with ot without T/C.
difference was that with T/C, i span tire slower then without T/C. i was still going no where.

Traction control gives you false sense of security.
T/C works only AFTER wheel starts to spin, not befor.
and as far as losing control of car goes. once tire is lose while moving, and before T/C stops wheel from spining, rear tire ALREADY lost the traction

Best thing to do in rain to prevent hydroplaing, is to slow down befor anything else. Make sure your tire have good treads, avoid jerky steering move.
Hydroplain occures as water gets in between tire and ground. Lost traction is only a result from that

Another good tip is to always run the defroster in the wet.

It turns on the A/C compressor which soaks up some HP. Less HP to the wheels to get you in trouble.

Of course you can hydroplane in a metro, but when it's raining i want my car to have less power so it doesn't spin tires

hotdog - I have those same tires on now, they suck in the rain in my opinion:)

To those that were being smart-alike about driving slow and it is the driver, you obviously missed the point. I know the obvious. Slowing down.

Girlfriend's car kept going straight and I was doing approx. 35 mph while I was going straight. A strong gust of wind came across the highway. That didn't help...

To those that were giving good tips and suggestions, good job:nice:

My car just seems to hydroplane much different than other mustangs or similar, that I have drove. If it is raining, I get passed like nothing on the interstate by stock cars/suv's/trucks...and I'm on the fringes of hydroplaning.

I would assume a tire with wide grooves and a skinny width is the best setup to have compared to others.

Thanks to the guy that showed me the Falken's, I have looked at those before, they look good, I very well might go for those:nice:

Kilgore Trout said:
If you lower your car too far you mess up the steering geometry. The a-arms should be paralell to the ground. If you want to lower your car that is great but you need to be thinking about drop spindles, offset rack bushings, offset ball joints, c/c plates etc. And you will need to GET IT ALIGNED.

If you just throw some new springs on your car and drop it without thinking through how you are going to adjust the front end to accomadate the drop, you increase your risk of crashing just because you hit some standing water or loose gravel.

The front end of the Mustang in its stock configuration is designed for all the parts to work together smoothly. If you change the way it is setup you need to know what you are doing and install required components to keep your setup safe. You tires will wear out faster/unevenly if you do not do it correctly also...

:bs: that's not going to cause you to hydroplane.

it's not too much different than snow. narrower tires with the proper tread helps tremendously. it allows the tires to "cut" thru the water or snow better. not many cars have 8+" wide tires, so that's why cars like Mustangs and Camaros hydroplane more than others. surface area to weight. another factor is the heavy bias towards weight in the front of the car and the power at the rear wheels. then obviously comes the driver variable. obviously you need to drive the appropriate speed for the weather conditions.

DBMSTNG said:
it's not too much different than snow. narrower tires with the proper tread helps tremendously. it allows the tires to "cut" thru the water or snow better. not many cars have 8+" wide tires, so that's why cars like Mustangs and Camaros hydroplane more than others. surface area to weight. another factor is the heavy bias towards weight in the front of the car and the power at the rear wheels. then obviously comes the driver variable. obviously you need to drive the appropriate speed for the weather conditions.

Yup

It's just keeping your eyes open for water, driving slower, and good tires. I barely hydroplane now with my Nittos compared to the stock tires. I even went wider. I think i've hydroplaned twice in almost a year and we can get some rain here.

Especially when it rains i try to drive in the tread of the car infront of me and/or out of the dips the road gets over time from cars driving in the general area, water tends to build up there so i'm in the higher part of the road.

Interesting article if you care to read information about hydroplaning http://www.smartmotorist.com/rai/rai.htm