Best steps in avoiding hydroplanning...

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
What are some good tires at a decent price to avoid hydroplanning.

My 98 GT seems to do it quite badly.

I do have some cheapo tires on it, that were on it when I bought it. V-tread style.

What are some options to keep hydroplanning to a minimum.

I got in a little accident this summer with my girlfriend's car because of hydroplanning.

I just want to feel comfortable on wet roads.

Ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Other than driving a heavier car with narrower tires,
Slow down in bad weather.
Drive with both hands in bad weather.
When you hit standing water, DO NOT hit the brake, or push in the clutch. Just let off the gas and hold the steering wheel straight (reason for driving with both hands on the wheel)

Get a 99+ GT with TRACTION CONTROL.....seriously.

I used to hydroplane out of control almost all the time with my 98 GT (auto). And now i've only had a problem 2x and that was due to MASSIVE downpore with COMPLETLEY bald Nitto Drag Radials on my current 02 GT.

Traction control is amazing in the rain (compared to be ing used to driving my old 98 GT around, like you)

If you lower your car too far you mess up the steering geometry. The a-arms should be paralell to the ground. If you want to lower your car that is great but you need to be thinking about drop spindles, offset rack bushings, offset ball joints, c/c plates etc. And you will need to GET IT ALIGNED.

If you just throw some new springs on your car and drop it without thinking through how you are going to adjust the front end to accomadate the drop, you increase your risk of crashing just because you hit some standing water or loose gravel.

The front end of the Mustang in its stock configuration is designed for all the parts to work together smoothly. If you change the way it is setup you need to know what you are doing and install required components to keep your setup safe. You tires will wear out faster/unevenly if you do not do it correctly also...

Good tires do help out a lot. You get what you pay for basically.

Also, make sure your tire pressure is correct. Running just 5psi under can lead to hydroplaning. The reason is that the water pushes the center of the tire up away from the pavement so only the edges are touching.

When you hit a pedal, just coast through. No gas, no brake, no steering if you can help it. Do all your hard braking before you hit the puddle and then let off the brake just as you are about to enter.

SLow Down!

Don't drive in the rain

sgarlic said:
It's not the tires, it's the driver. Slow down more over standing water.

Tires can make a huge difference..I had a set of used stock gatorbacks put on my car a while back, they had about half tread and if I got over 55mph in a good rain storm the nose would begin to wander and shift.. On the same highway with a set of Sumitomo HTR ZII's which have an aggressive V tread shape the tires will cut down into the water and grip MUCH more. I can plow through large puddles with these tires and never begin to lose traction.

5spd GT said:
What are some good tires at a decent price to avoid hydroplanning.
I have used these tires in a couple of road course/auto-x amatuer events and they are solid performers with excellent traction once warmed and excellent performers in wet weather. They are also aggressive in appearance. :nice:

For the price, they are worth trying out, 5spd GT.
'They' are Falken 452s.
I have a set (4) of 255/40/17s and a set (4) of 275/35/18s.
The 255s were bought for $112 a piece. Not bad at all.
Falken 452s

Edit: I also concur with what SteedaGTJ22 mentioned: get traction control, as well or if applicable.

SteedaGTJ22 said:
Get a 99+ GT with TRACTION CONTROL.....seriously.

I used to hydroplane out of control almost all the time with my 98 GT (auto). And now i've only had a problem 2x and that was due to MASSIVE downpore with COMPLETLEY bald Nitto Drag Radials on my current 02 GT.

Traction control is amazing in the rain (compared to be ing used to driving my old 98 GT around, like you)

Traction control wont really help with hydroplaning at all i dont think. When your car is hydroplaning, the tires are not really in contact with the ground so you can cut all the power to them you want and you still wont be in control of the car.

Black'02 said:
Traction control wont really help with hydroplaning at all i dont think. When your car is hydroplaning, the tires are not really in contact with the ground so you can cut all the power to them you want and you still wont be in control of the car.

While true... trust me it helps in ****ty road conditions. I didn't mean JUST hydroplaning. Traction control is a life saver, especially in the snow

Stock tires are HORRIBLE for hydroplanning. HORRIBLE! I am lowered, with CC plates, and an alignment and the front of my car still hydroplanes at 40+mph. I have stock tires still, but they are far above the wear bars.

Don't believe me about the stock tires? Check out the customer feedback from tirerack.com:

Voted WORST hydroplane resistance against 47 similiar tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP

Matt