Best thing ever posted on Streetfire...

• Sponsors (?)

The only thing that bothered me in that video was the police saying if you dont have a sticker for a modification then it must be illegal... I dont subscribe to the ricer school of thought that stickers 1. add power or 2. look cool. I dont add the stickers for my modifications. Second, they were trying to say you cannot be lowered beyond the stock ride height... I have been in a couple cars where another driver simply made a bad move (not racing, but regular driving) and had I not been in a modified suspensioned vehicle, there is no telling whether or not I would be at this keyboard typing this now. They had better not try and make that a law. Period.

I agree it is not a good idea to street race but to pull over a car and pick it apart with things like the intake or ride height is a pathetic waste of time if you ask me. I am not a rich kid but I think that I would have a pretty bad attitude towards the cop that was giving me the tech inspection when he most likely has no idea what he is even looking at.

As long as you guys don't street race in California, you'll be fine. BS regulations, such as ride height and carb certification labels, are all designed to curb the surge of modifications made to vehicles in Cali. Some of these laws, such as ride height restrictions, have carried over to other states. Since the weather blows most of the year in Oregon and strict impound laws are in effect in some areas, I don't see Oregon law enforcement ever becoming as nit-picky as what one sees in the video. If that level of crap ever occured in the Portland area, I would certainly move the hell elsewhere!

fiveohwblow said:
The only thing that bothered me in that video was the police saying if you dont have a sticker for a modification then it must be illegal... I dont subscribe to the ricer school of thought that stickers 1. add power or 2. look cool. I dont add the stickers for my modifications. Second, they were trying to say you cannot be lowered beyond the stock ride height... I have been in a couple cars where another driver simply made a bad move (not racing, but regular driving) and had I not been in a modified suspensioned vehicle, there is no telling whether or not I would be at this keyboard typing this now. They had better not try and make that a law. Period.

He was talking about an E.O. sticker showing that it is an "emmisions legal" part, not a manufacturer sticker on the outside of the car. It's a california thing, as said above.

:rlaugh:

fiveohwblow said:

FIVEOH - That was filmed in CA, it is a totally differnt world down there.. the sticker he was talking about is a CARB sticker, that say the modification passes CA smog laws. ANY modification to the engine has to pass smog, which is a sniff and visual test system. That is why you see all these aftermarkets saying 50state legal or, "offroad use only".

The ride height was also a law issue, due to vehicle and passenger safety, especally with all the jacked up trucks these days.. Some of you may not remember the old days when semi's did not have that dropped down bumper on the trailers.. allot of people got killed rear ending them. It all comes down to safety for everyone..

Back on topic, the guy was racing he and the cops knew it, then he tried to speed away and play dumb, and he got caught. So to send a message they went over his car with a fine tooth comb...

Yes, this all makes sense and I understand what sticker he was talking about. If you will read my sig you will see I have received enough parts to have seen at least one of those stickers.lol, I was simply just cracking a joke about something I find to be a joke...To be teched would bother me, but if I was caught racing, its my bad FOR SURE.

WaterPog said:
He was talking about an E.O. sticker showing that it is an "emmisions legal" part, not a manufacturer sticker on the outside of the car. It's a california thing, as said above.

:rlaugh:

No, no: in CA the cops are all ricers and love those pimpin' stickers on the outside of a car, and will make you get 'em if you don't already have them. "Yo, cuz, why you don't got the K&N sticker on yo sh it?"

:lol::rlaugh:

The main problem I see is alott of what cops try to ticket you for is BS. It doesnt matter if you have the sticker, as long as the part is c.a.r.b. certified, you are legal.

The cop claims the min height for headlights is 22 then he measures the car at 18, I doubt the car was lowered 4 freakin inches... probably 2 or 2.5, AND BESIDES how many of those high dollar Ferraris, Porsches, Lambos, Vettes, etc... do ya think are under his magic 22" regulation, Ill bet damn near every one of em.

As long as the lowerst point of the body does not extend below the bottom edge of the rim, then the body kit is ok.
(now of course with 18-20s and 30 series this can be preeettttyyy low :D )

You can also have up to 4 forward facing lights on at any one time, as long as they are not aimed further than 75ft in front of the vehicle. Cops used to hastle me so much for this one, I had to carry a copy of the statute in the glove box....

Clear lenses on sidemarkers are ok as long as the bulbs are tinted amber. (new cars even come with them now)

Who posed the greater threat to safety, the kid on the right side of the road, or the cop who drives into oncoming lanes and plays chicken with the kid to get him to stop.

What do they expect the kids to do when they close down LA Co, close down OCIR, etc.... then wonder why the kids race on the street. duh!!! GIVE THEM SOME PLACE TO GO DO IT.

If they want to help, they should close off industrial parkway, or an unused runway or something, and charge $20 a head to race, $10 to watch and have an ambulance and a fire unit close by just in case... Ill bet they would make 2 grand a night all summer long. Probably double or triple that on the weekends. (a-la PIR only with 5 times the population base)
And then you could charge an extra $20 for a chance to grudge race a local cop. Ill bet there are some closet hot-rodders on the police force, with some bad-ass american iron in the garage. Take a built fox or camaro, paint it up in black and white and crush rice all nice long... :flag: That should be good for another 2-3 hundred a night.

But hey, there I go throwing common sense and logic at the world again...
:bang: :nonono:

DD
:nice:

ddonaca351 said:
What do they expect the kids to do when they close down LA Co, close down OCIR, etc.... then wonder why the kids race on the street. duh!!! GIVE THEM SOME PLACE TO GO DO IT.
DD
:nice:

I remember, about 15 years ago, when the cops began shutting down certain streets in LA, in order to let kids race. The police would often bring department cars to grudge match kids with. They figured that if they safely closed a road and advertised it, that this would curb the street race scene. However, I am not sure if they still do this. Jerry would know better than I.