Best thing to use on the underside of a car??

caseywan

Apr 7, 2006
Chicago, IL
I'm going to put some kind of undercoating on my stang, mostly just for cosmetic reasons cause it never gets driven in the winter and rarely in the rain. I've heard that some undercoatings are no good because sometime tiny bits moisture can get in between the coating and the body and slowly rust it away. Just looking for the best/easiest stuff to do myself.

• Sponsors (?)

I recomend wheel Bearing grease just spread it all over the underneath side of your car...

( por 15 works the best and I feel was the easiest to use)

Yep, I remember that, but I'll think I'll pass on that one.

I was under the impression that POR 15 is really meant to be used of rusted or party rusted surfaces and does not adhere to clan metal as well...

Por15 is the way to go. I'm using it on the entire undercarriage. You can use it on already rusted metal or on clean metal. They make this stuff called metal prep that you can use before you brush on the Por15.

I Took mine down to bare metal and used "Chassis Saver." It's very similar to POR 15 but I like it better. Then I primed it and sprayed it gloss black.

236929937_DdUoz-L.jpg

239317897_GobfK-L.jpg

I painted the wheel wells with brush on Herculiner truck bed liner. Very durable.

165059351_kT7g7-L.jpg

Thats looks mint:nice:

QUOTE=capri debris;7430718]I Took mine down to bare metal and used "Chassis Saver." It's very similar to POR 15 but I like it better. Then I primed it and sprayed it gloss black.

236929937_DdUoz-L.jpg

239317897_GobfK-L.jpg

I painted the wheel wells with brush on Herculiner truck bed liner. Very durable.

165059351_kT7g7-L.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I sprayed POR15 gloss black on mine. You can also brush it. I recommend brushing it because it makes a real mess and sticks to everything around it. It WILL NOT COME OFF METAL, DIRT, RUST, or YOUR HANDS!!! DO NOT get is on your hands. Wear a resperator, and safety googles and industrial gloves.

81notchproject006.jpg

81notchproject005.jpg

81notchproject002.jpg

Wow man, that looks great. It really lets you see everything. That is actaully what it really looked like when I snapped the pic, because I had my bay door open. Thanks.

A painter friend sprayed one of his customer's cars with the sprayable por15. Not as nice as capri debris', but better than stock:

2j0e2hi.jpg

9urx20.jpg

He said:
It's all done with por15 products.

Start out with their Marine clean, http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=MC&dept=2 this stuff and a pressure washer works wonders.

then use their stuff called metal ready, http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=MR&dept=2

then put a big ass fan blowing on the bottom of the car and use a high pressure air nozzle to get any water that might be hiding in seams or anywhere else letting it air dry for a while really isn't going to hrt at all.

Then simply put the car on a lift and spray on the good stuff, POR15 http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=1&dept=1

I'm not gonna lie it's time consumming and costly at the same time and I'm sure it would be a pita w/o a lift and a decent size compressor. But damn after seeign this I will do my next car the same way for sure.