Best thread sealant for Head Gasket bolts...

MikeR351w

Founding Member
Oct 8, 2001
Wisconsin
I am in the process of replacing my drivers side head gasket. The gasket itself did not go bad, I just had to remove the head b/c I broke a bolt off in it :mad:

Does anyone swear by a particular brand or type of thread sealant for the lower bolts? I bought new bolts from Autozone (Fel Pro) to put on too.

Also, any tips or suggestions for this job??? I dont want to screw it up b/c I am installing a Vortech V-1 blower after its all done...

THANKS!!! :flag:

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

After having issues a few years back with ARP teflon sealer my ARP tech told me to use Permatex, since then I have never had an issues on any customers cars. I like to let it set-up overnight before starting, unlike the ARP teflon the Permatex sets up.

Bringing this thread back from the dead but didnt want to start another thread, we just got this stuff at our work by permatex just called thread sealer. It has no other information though doesnt say teflon or anything on it, its white like tooth paste, you guys think this will work fine for head bolts? And you can reuse ARP head bolts correct?

Bringing this thread back from the dead but didnt want to start another thread, we just got this stuff at our work by permatex just called thread sealer. It has no other information though doesnt say teflon or anything on it, its white like tooth paste, you guys think this will work fine for head bolts? And you can reuse ARP head bolts correct?

I hope you can reuse them, I have been.

you cant reuse any head bolts, they stretch when you torque them, ive always been under the impression that studs are the only thing that can be re-used.

Friend of myne reused head bolts and tore the threads right out of his block

Yes the ARP bolts are re-usable, usually 2-3 times before they stretch to far for spec.

There are a few different white paste teflon based sealers from Permatex. What number is it? The Red lettered is not hardening the blue lettering is hardening from what I remember...that is off the top of my head. It is basically the same as the ARP thread sealant. I still prefer Ultra Black or the Right Stuff.

My choice is Teflon pipe dope from Home Dept. It is inexpensive, doesn't leak and the Teflon has some anti seize and lubricating qualities that are helpful in getting an even bolt torque on all the lower head bolts.

Yes the ARP bolts are re-usable, usually 2-3 times before they stretch to far for spec.

There are a few different white paste teflon based sealers from Permatex. What number is it? The Red lettered is not hardening the blue lettering is hardening from what I remember...that is off the top of my head. It is basically the same as the ARP thread sealant. I still prefer Ultra Black or the Right Stuff.

I will have to check but i believe it is the red lettering on the front. I'll have to get the part number. You guys just use black silicone on the bolts? That's probably the easiest route since everyone has to have a bottle of this in there garage. I may just stop by home depot though and pick up some of that pipe dope that Joe mentioned, thats what we used last time on my heads and didnt have a problem.