Best tip I've ever got!

clev357

This one time in man camp...
Founding Member
Apr 12, 2001
Roswell, GA
Last night I was working on my 357c with my buddy, we were installing the oil restrictor kit. He's in his early 40's and has been doing this longer than I have. When we went to pull out the oil galley pipe plugs one was really crapped up. The allen wrench wobbled all over and it popped out under moderate force.

I thought we were screwed at the point and we'd be drilling. So he says "Naw, I've got a great trick for this." What happened next was amazing. He grabbed a tube of valve grinding compound (he prefers coarse) squeezes some onto the allen wrench and then shoves more in the plug. Then he says, "watch this!" Any of you who have been working on or around cars for a while know that phrase means either something really awesome is about to happen or (the more common thing) someone is about to royally screw something up or hurt themselves. Well anyway he puts box end wrench on the allen key and pulls like crazy, finally it clicks really loud and begins to back out. Amazing!!!! :jaw:
I couldn't believe it didn't strip out the rest of the way. I've been working on cars since I was 9 and had never seen this. He claims it works on stirpped bolts with a socket and phillips head screws too.

Sorry for the long post but I just had to share. Definitely use this next time you strip something out or round something off. Totally amazing, I swear! :jaw:

• Sponsors (?)

Clev,

That is amazing, although I can see how it might work with the abrasive giving the wrench a bit more grip.

Long time no see - what's been happening with you? Moving to GA? What's up with that?

Talk to you later.

Frank

On the subject of odd-ball fixes... if a bolt is siezed / rusted, melt candle wax onto the seam where it goes into the hole. (if you dont have any penetrating oil) It loosens it up... honest. (plain white unscented candle)
:nice:
Dave-
:flag:

Hey Frank, Yeah I'm outta here. I decieded I needed a change, Jersey is getting old. I'm going to open a branch for my mortgage company. We'll see what happens???? :shrug:

ddonica351, thanks for the tip, I think I heard that somewhere once.

D.Hearne, I'm good, but the torino is gone, I sold it to a guy in Phoenix, I think it got the home it deserves though. He was on an original parts hunt while the car was still with me. He wants to restore it correctly. Pretty soon I'll be closer to your neck of the woods. I'm moving to GA, off I-75 close to midway between Atlanta and Knoxville. :banana:

On a side note, my pop gave me a tip today, he says STP engine oil treatment is great for anything that needs to be slippery, he claims it's the slickest stuff on the planet, big words from a guy who's worked for MOBIL oil since 1975. :nice:

Had enough of Jersey, HUH? Well Georgia may be a culture shock to you. I ain't drivin no more. Got canned 4 months ago for somethin I didn't do. screw em!! I sold the 67 Stang coupe I had a year or more ago. Still playin with the V8 in the Ranger. Also aquired a 58,000 mile 68 Merc Monterey 2 door a year and a half ago. It's a 390 car. Already overhauled the motor and suspension, and the Kid is drivin it now.

Heres an unorthodoxed tip but we do this at my shop.If you got a stud or bolt that you can break loose grab the arc welder and touch it around the bolt/stud(dont touch the bolt/stud) then back it out.The welder heats up the metal around the bolts and expands the metal around it.The bolt/stud is mad out of harder material and wont expand as fast.it will also break up the rust in it.I know your saying "yeah but now youve got weld spots around that area".We just grind them down. Probably not gonna do it on our own cars but I work on big rigs so no one really gives a crap how they look.

stephen4785 said:
Heres an unorthodoxed tip but we do this at my shop.If you got a stud or bolt that you can break loose grab the arc welder and touch it around the bolt/stud(dont touch the bolt/stud) then back it out.The welder heats up the metal around the bolts and expands the metal around it.The bolt/stud is mad out of harder material and wont expand as fast.it will also break up the rust in it.I know your saying "yeah but now youve got weld spots around that area".We just grind them down. Probably not gonna do it on our own cars but I work on big rigs so no one really gives a crap how they look.

I guess that depends on what the bolt is stuck in... if its a cast iron head or the block, the bolt is actually softer... same effect. If you ever break a bolt off in the head or block, just use your cutting torch to melt the bolt and blow out the threads... no damage to the cast iron, just wirebrush and repaint as needed. Run a tap to clean the threads and you're back in business.

Anybody else notice that there's nothing easy about EZ-Outs?

clev357 said:
Hey Frank, Yeah I'm outta here. I decieded I needed a change, Jersey is getting old. I'm going to open a branch for my mortgage company. We'll see what happens???? :shrug:

ddonica351, thanks for the tip, I think I heard that somewhere once.

D.Hearne, I'm good, but the torino is gone, I sold it to a guy in Phoenix, I think it got the home it deserves though. He was on an original parts hunt while the car was still with me. He wants to restore it correctly. Pretty soon I'll be closer to your neck of the woods. I'm moving to GA, off I-75 close to midway between Atlanta and Knoxville. :banana:

Good luck Clev. I take it that the new mortgage business suits you then. I'm glad to hear it. It's always fun completely changing careers. Good luck and keep in touch.

Frank

gp001 said:
Best tip I ever got was "Don't pee into the wind" :D
I had a boss tell me one in the early '90s that works well in the corporate and high-tech fields (ever wonder where "edbert" comes from?)...

"Be carefull which toes you step on today, they may be connected to an arse you'll need to kiss tomorrow." Words to live by indeed, who needs more enemies? But I think we are hijacking this all the way to the talk section here.