Best tire for the street and occasional track use? Need everyone’s input please

03gtmustang

May 26, 2003
Northern Va
Ok heres the deal, Ive had enough of the stock tires and need some new rubber for the back. Im debating between the BF Goodrich d/r's and the Nitto 555's. I drive my car everyday and will be putting the new tires on my stock 17x8 rims. The car will only see the track a couple times a year so I need a tire that will give me an awesome launch on the street, but also has a pretty good tread life. I want your opinion even if you don't have either tire. Thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

I would recommend the nitto d/r's that is what i have and they are said to be better on the street than the BFG's and last longer but the BFG's do proform a little better at the track. But from what your descibing you need and use them for I would go with the nittos.

It rains to much around here to be caught with a drag tire on the street, pick up a good high per. street tire, and two extra rims for the DR.

I think having the nittos everyday is to much of a temptation. Stoplight to stoplight you will run through those nittos in 6 months.

blk2003GT said:
To get the best traction out of nittos they have to be warmed up (burn-out), how is there traction when they are cold?

Nittos will last like what? 10K miles?

At the track, you are correct. No need to be doing it on the street though...except for maybe fun. Traction on the street is excellent without warming up the tires. As far as the cold goes...it's just like any other tire...it gets worse when the temperature drops.

My nitto dr's lasted me 17k miles and around 150 dragstrip runs (including burnouts on all of them). Granted the tread is pretty much all gone.

As far as traction with them in the rain goes, I had no problems with them whatsoever. I never once felt like I was losing control due to hydroplaining. They wont be as good as regular tires in the wet, but they are not bad.

millhouse said:
At the track, you are correct. No need to be doing it on the street though...except for maybe fun. Traction on the street is excellent without warming up the tires. As far as the cold goes...it's just like any other tire...it gets worse when the temperature drops.

My nitto dr's lasted me 17k miles and around 150 dragstrip runs (including burnouts on all of them). Granted the tread is pretty much all gone.

As far as traction with them in the rain goes, I had no problems with them whatsoever. I never once felt like I was losing control due to hydroplaining. They wont be as good as regular tires in the wet, but they are not bad.

Nitto claims they will last for 12000 miles w/ track usage. I got more from mine than that so I would say Nitto is being modest or people are burning out alot more than I am? And the nittos are awesome in the rain!!!!!!!!!

BFG's will get you slightly better track performance but at a huge tread wear cost. In this case definitely go with the nittos. The best option would be if you have an extra pair of wheels to buy some bfg's just for the track and swap some regular tires or nittos for daily driving.

kirkyg

03gtmustang said:
You guys think Ill be alright with putting 275's on my stock rims?
Yep, alot of peeps running around with 8" rims and 275's out back. I plan on getting some Nittos in the next couple of weeks, but mine will be 305/35's for my 18x10's..... :nice:
nitvp4.ang.jpg

Interested to see how long they hold up since I rarely put uneccesary miles on the car..... :shrug:

Attachments

• nitvp4.ang.jpg
    nitvp4.ang.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 107