Best Treatment For Rusty Rain Gutters?

Cool Beans

Aug 2, 2014
Luckily nothing is rusted thru or cancerous from what I can see. So what would be a proper way to keep it that way? I have removed the remains of old vinyl top and the trim piece.

1) Wire wheel on angle grinder, clean out as much rust and old sealant as possible
2) Treat with rust converter to get any rust in the cracks/seams?
3) Apply epoxy primer? Recommendations?
4) Apply seam sealer? Recommendations?

How does the above sound? Is there a better way to do it? More or less steps? Product recommendations?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Good, I'm on the right track then!

I'm thinking black epoxy primer as I work on the car and drive it. . .what would you recommend for sealing the gutters?

thanks!

I have never tried Por-15 .
Get all the rust out ,if you have access to a small sand blaster mask about 3/4 inch past the rust area and clean it out well .Harbor Freight has a blaster that you just stick into a 5 gallon bucket,it is a gun and a hose and siphon tube , that would work very well for such a small area ,and it is cheap .Epoxy prime the area very well to seal it . If you are not putting the top back on i would then seal the gutters with seam sealer . If it is just a surface type rust a wire wheel will probably get it .

I like the vinyl top look, but it wouldn't be going on for a long time. This isn't going to be any kind of concurs restoration. . .just needs to be leak and rust free and look sweet :rock:

That being said, I think I can borrow a buddies sand blaster for the gutters. . .then sealer till I figure out what to do with the top.

Thanks!

If you are planning on putting the top back on i would not fill the channel up with sealer because there is a aluminum strip that goes down in the channel over the new vinyl top, and that gets filled with silicone ,the same color as the top . I would epoxy prime the channel then wipe a very thin film of seam sealer just to seal the over lap of the roof to the gutter .