Best type headers/exhaust setup

• Sponsors (?)

On your stock car, you won't see much in the way of peak power increase by replacing the stock headers. The rest of the stock exhaust system - especially cats and mufflers - can be improved upon. But unless you get that stock motor up into the 280+ HP range, the stock HO headers won't hold you back.

Now, if you put on a set of small primary longtubes (1.5" primaries) with a good system, you can really perk up the bottom end and mid-range. But most power gains on a stock car are gonna come from the system downstream of the headers. Putting on equal or non-equal shorties are a waste of money for you unless you're planning on other significant changes in the near future.

Having tmoss port your stock lower intake will also really help - that component is the biggest single flow restriction on the stock car.

Hey Michael.. i'm running 1.5" longtubes, into a modified stock H-pipe and an aftermarket 2.5"+3" tipped catback with flows.. i will be having a set of stock cats welded onto my h pipe (from a 02GT). Do you think the H pipe will be holding back much power?

I think if you are planning on maybe an HCI combo or just cam and intake it would be a good idea to go longtube. BBK 1 5/8 primaries would be your best bet for tube diameter for the application and the price is awesome. They sell midpipes for like 169 w/o cats and 369 with cats. Crazy huh! That's why I went w/o cats. And then just get ANY aftermarket catback. They're just about ALL good. Except like one chamber flows. They're strictly for 14-16 year olds IMO that think louder = more power or cooler or something lol.

If you are doing it all at once i would definitely do LT's a mid pipe and cat-back.
Depending on your area you may want/need cats if not do without. As for the X vs. H debate on a mostly stock car you won't notice a difference. Its all sound preference then. I prefer the X but i have heard some H's that I like. On a higher horsepower car an X may make more power...but on a stock car no difference.
Then get a catback that you like. If you get a straight thru muffler catback it argueably sounds better with the X, but I love the chambered muflers with the X too. Do some research more on sounds if that is a big deal with you.

My recommendation which is what I am in the process of installing is BBK 1-5/8 LTs, Dr. Gas X-pipe and either flowmaster, MAC, or Spintech mufflers.