...Best vendor for a complete saleen kit (fox)?

This is very newb, I know. But I am thinking about trading for a very nice low mileage GT and I have never liked the GT's but its a super nice car. I would like to make a Saleen clone using some high quality parts. I would like urethane, no fiberglass.

Here is a pic of the car in question:
2392810270103920432S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

• Sponsors (?)

...says it fits LX only...and through 90'. I guess this shows my ignorance but, can a GT not be easily converted to a Saleen? I guess the better question would be, What do I need to do to make a Saleen clone on the out side? I assumed it would just be the bumpers, side skirts, taillights, and wing? Can you get the Saleen decals too? I want it to look original w/ the numbers on the bumper and everything.

2392810270103920432S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Those are supposed to be original "real" cobra wheels too. I guess I could just make a Cobra clone. I think the fox saleens look good though, as long as it was tastefully done and looked correct and original. The Saleen wheels might be hard to chase down...

Thanks!

It might be easier to just do a cobra clone. I think that would be just as nice. I have never been a huge fan of the saleen wings. It pre-dates the ricer picnic table...haha

What do you guys think of the GT pictured...pretty nice car huh?

The GT actually looks really nice. you don't need the front bumper if you do the cobra clone since it already has the insert. it's hard to tell from the pics but does it have the gt scooped front fender extensions? or the smooth cobra ones? anyway make sure you save the rear bumper, side skirts, wing and rear tail lights. good resale value if they are in top shape. I have seen some of those cheese grater tails go for some decent money at times. it's kinda sad to see another GT in such good shape loose it's body parts but too each his own.

To change that GT to Saleen style you will have to first change the front and rear bumpers to LX bumpers, change all the molding to LX style and then install the kit. The saleen kit is just skirting that attaches to the bottom of the existing LX bumpers and of course the side skirts which are attached differently than the factory GT components. I dont care for Saleen clones because the body kit almost always has that cheap tacked-on look to it.

What is it that you dont like about the GT? That is a really nice car. Those also are not original Cobra wheels, unless they have been chromed. Check for the ford part # on the inside of the wheels and then try to cross reference the number.

Good info on the wheels...My old sn95 had real cobra r's and they had the serial #'s on them and I was wondering if these had something similar to check by. I didnt think they ever came chrome. Here is what I know of the car so far. 93' w/ just over 100k on the clock ( I was originally told a lower #) The engine is supposed to have around 5K on a fresh rebuild, says AC blows cold, maybe gt-40's, cobra intake, 70mm TB, MAC CAI, holley headers, some flavor of crane bump stick (no hard #'s yet, says he has the card), original T5 and 8.8 w/ (original) 3.73:1 gear. It has about a 3 yr old paint job w/ Mercedes-benz black over an original black car, red interior, has a king cobra clutch, underdrives, and I belive that is all. In other words, your basic entry level bolt-ons. * I know this is frowned upon* But here goes (b/c I truly have no idea where the market is) What is a car like this actually worth? Please help b/c I dont want to get burned.

What is it that you dont like about the GT? That is a really nice car...

Its hard to put my finger on it...maybe a little too Vanillia Ice video...a little too 80's-ish, not quite as classy as a clean original looking cobra/saleen...maybe just my up-brining, but every trashy redneck where I grew up when I first liked cars had either a fox GT or IZOC camaro... I dont totally mind it on this particular car, b/c it looks damn good, But if I have to be specific I would have to say the wing, taillights, and the words "mustang GT" embosed into the side skirts are what bother me most. The actual shape of the skirts dosent bother me...so If it was all stock w/ a cobra wing and no words I would be ok w/ it. I am also someone who is just bugged by emblems and such I like the car to speak for its self.

...says it fits LX only...and through 90'. I guess this shows my ignorance but, can a GT not be easily converted to a Saleen? I guess the better question would be, What do I need to do to make a Saleen clone on the out side? I assumed it would just be the bumpers, side skirts, taillights, and wing? Can you get the Saleen decals too? I want it to look original w/ the numbers on the bumper and everything.

No. You have to have the VIN of an original Saleen to get the stickers. Well, at least that's how it was back in the day when I ordered mine. So, unless you have a buddy with a Saleen, good luck getting the stickers.

Like said above, you'll need to switch to an LX front and rear bumper if you were to go with the Saleen ground effects.

I'd leave it as is myself.

Its hard to put my finger on it...maybe a little too Vanillia Ice video...a little too 80's-ish, not quite as classy as a clean original looking cobra/saleen...maybe just my up-brining, but every trashy redneck where I grew up when I first liked cars had either a fox GT or IZOC camaro... I dont totally mind it on this particular car, b/c it looks damn good, But if I have to be specific I would have to say the wing, taillights, and the words "mustang GT" embosed into the side skirts are what bother me most. The actual shape of the skirts dosent bother me...so If it was all stock w/ a cobra wing and no words I would be ok w/ it. I am also someone who is just bugged by emblems and such I like the car to speak for its self.

As for the value, that car around here would pull $5k easily...probably a little more if it does have those mods and is really as clean as the pics look. Say $6500 as a high water mark.

I would recommend swapping to Cobra sideskirts and a Cobra rear bumper with a Cobra wing. You already have the wheels and grille insert so basically you would have a Cobra clone instead of a Saleen clone. Much easier conversion. Here is the look you are going for...

93_cobraSVT_hb_black_w7_3.jpg

93_cobraSVT_hb_black_w7_1.jpg

Yes exactly. The thing is, I believe that the price you said is right on the money. I was thinking 5-6500$. He said he gave 13,500$ for it a year ago...and is wanting to trade for something I have that I know is worth 10-12.5k. I figured if it were an original cobra and that nice, maybe, but not a GT. I like the car and would like the car to be just as the one you pictured, but I cant justify it being worth over 7 grand. If it had MM or Griggs suspension and a T56 or tremec and maybe a small vortec or procharger then hell yeah! I could see it then.

Yes exactly. The thing is, I believe that the price you said is right on the money. I was thinking 5-6500$. He said he gave 13,500$ for it a year ago...and is wanting to trade for something I have that I know is worth 10-12.5k. I figured if it were an original cobra and that nice, maybe, but not a GT. I like the car and would like the car to be just as the one you pictured, but I cant justify it being worth over 7 grand. If it had MM or Griggs suspension and a T56 or tremec and maybe a small vortec or procharger then hell yeah! I could see it then.

Well he got flat out hosed on that deal. An original cobra yes is worth about that much with say 50k miles on it. His car is a nothing special GT with bolt ons that about 483747594 other cars have. The red interior doesnt help his cause either. if he doesnt take 6000 then he can sit on it awhile