Best way to block hole in lower intake GT40

mustang30288

Jan 15, 2007
Doing a gt40 manifold swap on my 88 gt. The manifold is off an early 97' explorer so it has the hole in the middle of the ports on lower. Just wondering what did everybody do to solve this problem other than just using the egr. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I was reading some old threads that said they used like rubber grommets or something but wouldnt that melt? I just kind of need something cheap to fix this little hold up. thanks for the respones.

If you still have the lower off the car then the fel pro 1250 intake gasket set has parts that block the EGR crossover at the cylinder head/intake manifold gasket. This is the best spot to block off the EGR gasses so that they do not enter the intake manifold and heat it up.

Other than that I tapped the EGR passage in the lower intake with for a 1/2" threaded plug and that worked just fine as well.

If you still have the lower off the car then the fel pro 1250 intake gasket set has parts that block the EGR crossover at the cylinder head/intake manifold gasket. This is the best spot to block off the EGR gasses so that they do not enter the intake manifold and heat it up.

Other than that I tapped the EGR passage in the lower intake with for a 1/2" threaded plug and that worked just fine as well.

Bingo!
The only possible FUNCTIONAL benefit to eliminating the EGR is cooling the intake temps. (just for the record I still debate whether this is a benefit or not...)

Block EGR passages in the head.
My machine shop was able to drill/tap the hole coming out of the head. They then plugged it with a threaded plug.

jason

If i don't really care about the hot gases does it matter if I leave the hole open. I just don't really want to tap the hole for the coolant for the egr. Its not that I want to eliminate egr I just want to get finished with the project. Will it affect anything if I leave the hole open but dont have egr running. thanks for the help just wanna drive tha pony so need to get this project back on track.

throttle body

When you mean block it off at the throttle body do you mean just take off the egr valve and block it off. Because im not sure if your taking about the egr spacer or is there something to be done to the throttle body. thanks for the response. I am glad there is an alternative.

research egr delete, because that's what you're doing. I believe they may make an egr delete plate that you simply bolt up instead of that, and you're a-ok, and that's that.

If you don't use a EGR delete you will have to have the EGR plate and EGR valve on the manifold. The valve doesn't have to work but it needs to be there. You need the plate because the throttle cable mounts to it and you need the valve because exhaust gases will come out of the hole that it mounts into.

The other way to avoid using the EGR valve is to block the hole at the lower like everybody else said.

I was reading some old threads that said they used like rubber grommets or something but wouldnt that melt? I just kind of need something cheap to fix this little hold up. thanks for the respones.

If you use an expandable plug, I believe it was 5/8" or so, with a washer on both sides you will be just fine. (You can find these at most auto parts stores.) I ran my car like that for 5 years and had no problems. (Pulled the upper intake off and everything was just fine.)

RYC CUKR said:
f you still have the lower off the car then the fel pro 1250 intake gasket set has parts that block the EGR crossover at the cylinder head/intake manifold gasket. This is the best spot to block off the EGR gasses so that they do not enter the intake manifold and heat it up.

Sorry, this does not work. I have tried it and they just break apart and crumble.

Maryland Stang said:
You need the plate because the throttle cable mounts to it

You could use this.
EB-75.JPG

FORD 5.0 EGR ELIMINATOR PLATE

Totally eliminate the EGR on your 5.0 with this billet aluminum plate. Comes in 75MM and may require port matching of your throttle body and upper plenum. Uses stock hardware and gaskets

Maryland Stang said:
you need the valve because exhaust gases will come out of the hole that it mounts into.

You could use this.
EB-15.JPG

FORD 5.0 EGR BLOCK OFF PLATE

Billet aluminum EGR plate. Easy way to eliminate EGR but retain the factory EGR plate. Uses stock hardware and gaskets.

I would suggest looking here.
http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=9

Attachments

• EB-75.JPG
    EB-75.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 345
  • EB-15.JPG
    EB-15.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 434
Hey 04, thanks for the pics. I was wondering if there is any manufacterer that makes the plate that totally deletes it for the stock throttle body size. And if not is there any other place rather than upr products that makes the small egr delete (one that bolts to factory spacer). Thanks everybody for the variety of options.